Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Nissan announces AWD option for the G35 sedan

Old 09-19-2003, 12:20 PM
PerfectSeoul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When will we get the next M45? 2005 or 2006? I hope that the next 'M' cars aren't nearly as ugly as the current model. It would be nice if it would be a legitimate contender to the GS models from Lexus. But an M35 would have to be drastically different than the G35 - but since the G35 is the "sporty" model what gap will the 'M' cars fill? Luxury or sporty?
Old 09-19-2003, 12:45 PM
asianautica

Infiniti wanna go after BMW, so I would say it'll be more sporty. It will come prolly around 2004 as a 2005 model since the JDM version of this car is already going on its 6th year. It will be base off the stretched G35 platform. If you like the new designs (i.e. G35 and FX), then I think you'll probably like the M. M35 can be larger than G35 and better interior quality and more luxury options?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:31 PM
PerfectSeoul

If its larger than a G35, I can't see it as being too sporty. The G35 is already kinda big and weighty, any larger and it will lose a lot of its sportiness. Of the few large cars out there that try to be sporty, the only one I see is the BMW 530/545 sedans. All of the other ones are just plain bloated.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:34 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

The G35 isn't really that big. It's bigger than a 3-Series or C-Class but it's still smaller than the midsized offerings from those companies.

My guess is the next M45/M35 will be similar in execution to the Lexus GS (a pretty "sporty" car for Toyota) albeit with the Nissan flavor substituted in. There's a plenty big size gap between the G35 and Q45 for the M to slot into.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:57 AM
asianautica

Even though the G35 might have more interior room than Both E-class and 5-series, the exterior dimention is still smaller. So the M can still grow a little bit more and still be about the same size as the E-class. With the added size, the rear leg room will be much better since that's the only interior measurement that the G35 is smaller compare to the E500. My guess is it would be quite similar to the G35 in driving dynamic and power will be similar as well except for the M45 which will be better than it is now, which mean it should be a sub 6-sec car.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:09 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
There's a plenty big size gap between the G35 and Q45 for the M to slot into.
Not only that, there's also a huge sales gap...6,000 G35's a month versus under 300 Q45's a month. If Nissan can create a hit with the next M45, they're gonna have a hell of a lineup. Nissan went about the Infiniti division backwards...they made the Q45 really nice and then revamped the lower end models. Acura is doing it correctly...first RSX, then TSX, then TL, and next RL and NSX. It gives Acura buyers nice stepping stone once they purchased their 2002 RSX Type-S' and now want a more sporting sedan, as they're a couple years older and wiser. It makes sense to me why Acura waited so long on the RL and NSX...they wanted to create a solid foundation before they re-created their flagship supercar and their once legendary large sedan.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:03 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Well here's some more fuel for the speculative fire.

I was looking at Infiniti's website and they're calling the awd version of the G35 Sedan the G35x. Same exact badge as what we saw on those spy pics of the Infiniti-fied Stagea AR-X Four.

Since the awd version of the sedan is being called G35x, and the awd version of what would presumably be the G35 Wagon is called G35x, then we might be getting more roadworthy (as opposed to an Audi Allroad competitor) versions of the Stagea being sold here as the G35 Wagon.

Just a guess.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:15 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally posted by kazi
BMW and Honda's manual transmissions are the best in the industry (for non-exotic brands that is).
They're probably one of the best, period. I can't think of any exotic manufacturers who make a better gearbox (Ferrari and Lamborghini certainly do not).