Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Motor Trend says CTR Coming to US

Old 02-28-2003, 08:52 AM
DakarM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Fast Bug
Honda's marketing folks are too conservative...
I feel they should bring over both the ITR and CTR knowing that these 2 models will sell, rather than worrying about killing the sale of the RSX-S and Civic SI. Ultimately, it's still profitable for Honda compared to buyers shopping elsewhere to satisfy their apetite for performance.

I'll bet it will increase the sales of the SI. all the rice boys will buy the SI and make it look like the CTR.

lets start a betting pool

if Honda brings the CTR over we will see fake CTRs all over the place
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:19 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally posted by qtiger
Final drive = too low

6th gear is there for a reason, and it isn't as a second highway gear.

Well, it does save gas... I don't know, I agree, it should be used for more than fuel efficiency. Doesn't the RSX-S actually top out in fifth gear, I think they should raise top speed and actually make use of the 6-speed. As it sits right now, the "6-speed" is for marketing purposes I feel. "Oh wow, look buy this car it has a 6-speed" you know?
Old 02-28-2003, 09:35 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

the point of a 6 speed tranny was to make the first 3 gears closer together and for more better acceleration...which in turn made the 4th and 5th gears higher and the 6th compensates for cruising
Old 02-28-2003, 11:08 AM
jeffphx
jeffphx

Default CTR

I hope Honda does bring it over, but I don't think they will though. Honda has been very conservative in releasing their high performance vehicles for the US market and I just don't see them bringing over the CTR as we know it now. If we do get one, I imagine it will be de-tuned version. In addition, I have heard that there will be a Si Coupe for 04, but I'm not sure where that puts the hatch. How about an Si Coupe and Type R hatch?? That is a hint Honda!
Old 02-28-2003, 11:58 AM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

If this is true (and I think everyone hopes it is), I will take mine in white. :naughty:
Old 02-28-2003, 12:09 PM
vtecinside
Cracker Quack!

I just looked through the article about an hour ago....They're guesstimating a price of 18-20,000 bucks.

I think if they bring it here, they will out and out drop the Si. The CTR could match the current Si's sales numbers easily (and considering everybody in this forum might actually go out and buy one) or even exceed them. So why build two separate models....

Its funny, part of me was thinking of getting the federalized import from the UK for $25K this morning instead of an E30 M3 as my next car.....

I hope it comes out....it could mean that I could actually own a brand new Honda that was awesome instead of driving an old Bimmer that was begging for $40K in mods.... fingers are crossed.

noel
Old 02-28-2003, 08:35 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

Originally posted by vtecinside
I just looked through the article about an hour ago....They're guesstimating a price of 18-20,000 bucks..

noel
The MSRP of an Si is $19k. How would they sell the CTR for less than the Si? I think it's just too much for a Civic.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:49 PM
rick
not noob?

Originally posted by g2tegls
The MSRP of an Si is $19k. How would they sell the CTR for less than the Si? I think it's just too much for a Civic.

considering most Si sell for under 16K I see no reason why Honda can't price is under the current Si.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:10 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

My guess is that if the CTR comes over here the magic number will be $22,295 MSRP.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:27 AM
vtecinside
Cracker Quack!

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
My guess is that if the CTR comes over here the magic number will be $22,295 MSRP.
Why that high?

Regular RSX's sticker in that area, albeit they are roomier and have the "prestige" factor...making the CTR somewhat less attractive to the average buyer.

Why not offer the CTR only at $19,000 (with A/C) and make the car a mass produced car, not a specialty car? Offered at a high price and in limited numbers with a failing, unattractive Si around would make the Civic hatch a financially unsound proposition. The Si is downright hideous and just would not (as it currently does) sell and most folks would still buy the CTR....so instead mass produce the CTR and sell every one of those hatches...It would not be hard to mass produce the CTR....The chassis is already mass produced, the motor is mass produced not rare cuz its used in the RSX-S, and the Si is sold here as a "specialty" car anyway so why not offer a true specialty car.

By not getting the price over the $20K mark people will believe that they are actually getting a whole of car (compared to the Si) for only a lil more money....

too bad real life isn't my reality.........

noel