Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Since when did Toyota add 18hp to Camry V6??

Old 01-23-2003, 07:14 AM
asianautica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic
I'm pretty sure the Camry still uses a 4-speed automatic. It's time for them to put in the 5-speed automatic unit. That's my biggest gripe with the car, and the reason why it's fairly slow. It's not that 192HP wasn't enough, it's because 4th gear is very long for fairly low RPM cruising, which makes the other gears spaced out too far.

That's why they always pull 8.0+ second 0-60mph times for the Camry V6's. Ever notice how the 5-speed Camry CE's of yore did it in 7.2 (or the Solara's?). There's potential.

And with a 5-speed automatic and 250HP in the Camry, I'm sad to say the Accord and Altima may even be over-run.
I completely agree with you. Most people argue about HP this and HP that, but most people fail to recognize that gearing makes the biggest differences. How else can BMW yield such fast time from such a low HP engine. Same goes for Honda.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:41 AM
yianni64

250hp? Oh well, put some premium in the Accord and its got 250hp......
Old 01-23-2003, 12:20 PM
boilers

Is this for real or just rumors ?? If it's real, then it's really cool. If you wanna go fast, just fill her up with premium, but when you're kinda broke, you can switch back to regular :thumbup:

Originally posted by yianni64
250hp? Oh well, put some premium in the Accord and its got 250hp......
Old 01-23-2003, 01:45 PM
asianautica

Originally posted by boilers
Is this for real or just rumors ?? If it's real, then it's really cool. If you wanna go fast, just fill her up with premium, but when you're kinda broke, you can switch back to regular :thumbup:
I don't think you can do that. I doubt the ECU would be able to tell what type of gas you're using. Also, every gas station is different. Some 91 octain are cleaner than the other. If you want to make use of the higher octain, you have to tell the ECU that you're using higher octain so it'll be able to adjust the timing and etc. accordingly. So unless Honda did something special, I doubt you can just pour in 91 octain gas and expect to get more HP.

I know that cars like mine (95 GS-R) that require premium gas from the start, if you pour in 87 octain gas, it'll automatically retard the timing to compensate, but it's really bad for your car that way. But I'm not sure about going up. How does the ECU know what kind of octain you're putting in and how much timing does it need to advance? I could be wrong, but that's my logic.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:24 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally posted by boilers
Accord's four-cylinder is slightly more powerful and lots more fun to drive than Camry's and doesn't seem like the engine you settle for if you can't afford the V-6. The 240-horsepower Accord V-6 trumps Camry's 192-hp V-6 and uses regular fuel instead of Camry's premium (although Accord's will jump 10 horsepower or so on premium, V-6's chief engineer says).
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...1-accord_x.htm

:thumbup:
Old 01-23-2003, 04:26 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by asianautica
I don't think you can do that. I doubt the ECU would be able to tell what type of gas you're using. Also, every gas station is different. Some 91 octain are cleaner than the other. If you want to make use of the higher octain, you have to tell the ECU that you're using higher octain so it'll be able to adjust the timing and etc. accordingly. So unless Honda did something special, I doubt you can just pour in 91 octain gas and expect to get more HP.

I know that cars like mine (95 GS-R) that require premium gas from the start, if you pour in 87 octain gas, it'll automatically retard the timing to compensate, but it's really bad for your car that way. But I'm not sure about going up. How does the ECU know what kind of octain you're putting in and how much timing does it need to advance? I could be wrong, but that's my logic.
actually, all you have to do is load it up with whatever gas and the car will do the rest. dont forget honda has some of the best engineers out there.

and yeah, my dad put 87 octance in my 240SX one time, and it was a very noticable difference. i put 91 in it.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:42 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually, all you have to do is load it up with whatever gas and the car will do the rest. dont forget honda has some of the best engineers out there.
Yes. The new Honda ECU can adjust automatically to octane differences, and will accept 87 without pinging, yet will advance the timing slightly for Premium.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:47 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by 98CoupeV6
Yes. The new Honda ECU can adjust automatically to octane differences, and will accept 87 without pinging, yet will advance the timing slightly for Premium.
if you have half a tank of 87, and then filled it up with 91(or jsut put in some 89), would you get 245hp?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:11 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have half a tank of 87, and then filled it up with 91(or jsut put in some 89), would you get 245hp?
Actually, yes. Assuming the gasoline would mix correctly, the ECU would probably just partially advance timing.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic
I'm pretty sure the Camry still uses a 4-speed automatic. It's time for them to put in the 5-speed automatic unit. That's my biggest gripe with the car, and the reason why it's fairly slow. It's not that 192HP wasn't enough, it's because 4th gear is very long for fairly low RPM cruising, which makes the other gears spaced out too far.

That's why they always pull 8.0+ second 0-60mph times for the Camry V6's. Ever notice how the 5-speed Camry CE's of yore did it in 7.2 (or the Solara's?). There's potential.
Toyota has now updated its camry site = 5spd auto. w/v6.