Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

With the TSX, Acura May Have Another Major Contender

Old 01-08-2003, 03:17 AM
Daniel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With the TSX, Acura May Have Another Major Contender

- 98CoupeV6

[align=http://h.wieck.com/tn/2003/01/05/HON2003010558396_tn.jpg]left[/align]On February 5th 2003 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, MI, Acura unveiled its newest sedan. Acura places its new TSX sport sedan squarely between the current Acura RSX sport coupe and TL sport sedan as an entry-level, sport-luxury sedan. With the fast growing entry level luxury car segment, the TSX has the potential to provide huge gains for the Acura lineup with little risk; however, time will tell.

Read More..
Old 01-08-2003, 03:18 AM
Daniel

[align=http://h.wieck.com//pv/2003/01/05/HON2003010558438_pv.jpg]left[/align]With a front wheel drive and inline-4 engine layout, other luxury marques have tested these waters only to not even make a splash. One much forgotten, yet beloved contender was the Infiniti G20. However, where the G20 went belly up with its average handling, underpowered engine, and overall vanilla wrapping, the TSX may prove to be a much stronger swimmer. Driving performance aside, the 2004 Acura TSX will boast a 360 watt, 8 speaker/subwoofer, six CD stereo system (including an optional in dash MP3 player), and looks to match its loudness. Aside from its good looks and great stereo the TSX is loaded with such standard features as aluminum door sills, High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights, power moonroof, dual zone automatic climate control, power leather seats (8 way for driver and 4 for passenger), leather wrapped 3 spoke steering wheel with audio and cruise control buttons, keyless entry system, floor mats, illuminated LED gauges, and a 12V outlet in the center console. One notable factory option available is the $2,000 in-dash DVD navigation system. To make things better, Acura has announced that the TSX will be priced from $25k to $29k making it affordable to young lead foots who sink and can’t swim.

Now to the goods of why Honda followers keep coming back. The TSX boasts a 2.4-liter DOHC, 3 rocker i-VTEC inline 4 that has a peak output of 200 horsepower at 6,800 RPM and 166 ft-ft of torque at 4,500 RPM. Like all other i-VTEC engines, the torque curve on this K24 engine is a plateau, giving you a flat torque curve throughout the RPM range. As with other VTEC inspired engines, Honda doesn’t need forced induction or displacement to make power, surprising even the staunchest of critics as to how fun small displacement, normally aspirated engines can be. But, Honda doesn’t stop there with just the engine, because it comes paired to either a 5 speed SportShift automatic or a 6 speed manual transmission both offering traction control, Acura's Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), drive by wire throttle, F1 derived 4 wheel independent double wishbone suspension, and 215/50/R17 wheels/tires fitted at each corner. With such backing the TSX should be competitive with most of its competition, including the BMW 325i, Saab 9-3, Audi A4 1.8T, and Nissan Maxima.

Those knowledgeable of Honda’s overseas offerings or familiar with Acura’s lineup will ask is a Type-S model in Acura’s future? Acura has made no suggestion of a Type-S, but early rumors hint at a release date in Sprint 2004.

The answer to why the TSX can be considered such a low risk model compared to the G20 lie under its skin, as the TSX shares everything except interior design and badges with the European and Japanese Accord. While not the most often used method by Honda, most other manufacturer’s use similar tactics such as with the next Ford Taurus being heavily based off of the Mazda 6. The benefit of using another platform means it takes less time and money when compared to completely redesigning a vehicle from scratch. One stigma aside; we all think of the Accord as a well behaved reliable family sedan but, since 1994, European and Japanese Accords have been smaller, lighter and sportier, and to fit such a vehicle into Honda’s lineup, it was placed as an Acura model befitting to its sport, luxury image.

But chances are, the TSX will be an able swimmer ready to embarrass more expensive makes and models requiring owners to beg for more displacement to satiate their bruised egos. On the flip side, the TSX as a high value, sporty, and affordable alternative to its competition, readers can see a land shark in the making.

--Acura is a registered trademark of American Honda Motor Company

Discuss this further..
Old 01-08-2003, 04:27 AM
Barry WY

Okay? How do you think this car will perform compared with the Accord V6 6 speed coupe?

What is the weight difference? Handling difference? Better "driver's car?"

I think the Accord weights around 3265 lb and has 240 hp. I think the RSX Type S weighs around 2694 lb and has 200 hp. Can the TSX compete with these?

The TSX Type S might really interest me.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:34 AM
ur31337
Colby

From what I understand, the Type S model isn't due out until fall.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:20 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Barry WY
Okay? How do you think this car will perform compared with the Accord V6 6 speed coupe?

What is the weight difference? Handling difference? Better "driver's car?"

I think the Accord weights around 3265 lb and has 240 hp. I think the RSX Type S weighs around 2694 lb and has 200 hp. Can the TSX compete with these?

The TSX Type S might really interest me.
Click on the "discuss this further" button. That will bring you to the Acura TSX thread with lots more pictures and specifications.

The TSX isn't designed to compete with any other Honda models, except maybe as a sporty alternative to the Accord Sedan. It should be slower than the V6 6 speed Coupe, but faster than all of its rivals (Jag X Type, Audi A4, BMW 325i, Nissan Maxima, Saab 9-3, etc). It in no way competes with the RSX...as I said, it's not a 4 door RSX. Not anywhere close.

The base TSX should do 0-60 in the upper 6s with a 6 speed and do the quarter mile in the low 15s. Don't hold your breath for a Type-S model, it all depends on sales and demand IMO.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Barry WY

Originally posted by 98CoupeV6
Click on the "discuss this further" button. That will bring you to the Acura TSX thread with lots more pictures and specifications.
Thanks. I didn't realize that that thread was different from this thread.
Barry in Sheridan, Wyoming
Old 01-08-2003, 06:15 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by Barry WY
Thanks. I didn't realize that that thread was different from this thread.
Barry in Sheridan, Wyoming
No problem Barry
Old 01-08-2003, 08:39 PM
maskedSONY
-

so basically its $25K for an Accord Type-R? that sums it up right there.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:05 AM
RB
snitches get stitches

As always, Acura wont match up to its nearest competitors. The engine, despite iVTEC, is still an FWD I4...we all know that the funnest driving experience don't come from fwd I4's. Also, Honda/Acura has relied to heavily on there golden child known as "vtec". Almost all car companies out now have thier own form of Variable Valve timing, so its uniqueness is fading quickly. Despite all its amenities, the competitors which are mentioned in the article, the 325i, the saab 9-3, and the A4 1.8t, each measure beyond this, with far better looks than the TSX. Sadly, it looks like a 4x4 version of the Toyota Camry of the late 90's. Not to bash on Acura or anything, but they need to invest more into performance to gain any respect with a critical automotive community.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:15 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by maskedSONY
so basically its $25K for an Accord Type-R? that sums it up right there.
Argh, damn you jaje for editing this info out!

There actually is no Accord Type-R. It's called the Euro-R and is sold in Japan and Europe. That comes with the K20C5 Integra Type-R engine, which we do not get and will not get in the TSX. The current TSX is equivalent to the Accord 24S in Europe and Japan, not the Euro-R.