Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2008 Lexus LX570 (and maybe Toyota Land Cruiser?) production model info

Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Lexus LX570 (and maybe Toyota Land Cruiser?) production model info

More power, goals of better on- and off-road capabilities and increased interior room highlight the 2008 Lexus LX 570 premiering in New York. Power, from the 5.7-liter, 381-hp V8 developed for parent company Toyota’s full-size Tundra, jumps 113 hp over the outgoing LX 470.

The Tundra’s six-speed automatic is also part of the new powertrain package. Electrohydraulic suspension and active height control reduce body roll and increase on-road comfort. Off-road abilities should benefit from increased wheel travel, crawl control and multiterrain antilock brakes.

Visually, the LX 570 taps into the Lexus L-finesse design theme for a more refined look, and the eight-passenger interior is 4 inches longer and nearly an inch wider. The LX 570 goes on sale in early 2008.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../70403002/1062
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lx570.jpg (55.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 04-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Ochdx

Code:
2008 LX 570 PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

2008 LX 570              2007 LX 470

Engine                  5.7-liter V8             4.7-liter V8

Horsepower                  381                      268

Torque                  401 lb.-ft.              328 lb.-ft.

Transmission            Six-Speed Automatic      Five-Speed
                            with Sequential          Automatic with
                            Shift                    Gated Shifter

Towing Capacity (lbs)       8,500                    6,500

Interior Length (inches)    128.5                    124.2

Width (inches)               77.6                     76.4

Height (inches)              74.4                     72.8

Overall Length (inches)     196.5                    192.5

Wheelbase (inches)          112.2                    112.2

Driven Wheels           Full-time                Full-Time
                            Four- Wheel Drive        Four-Wheel-Drive
                            With Torsen LSD

Wheels and Tires        20-inch alloy            18-inch alloy
                            wheels and               wheels with
                            285/50R 20 tires         275/60R 18 tires

Emissions Rating        ULEV II                  ULEV II

Last edited by Ochdx; 04-05-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Ochdx

They are bastardizing all the best cars with this lame L-finesse crap. I hate the way this thing looks on the exterior.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:18 PM
mr22na
Miss It.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

From looking at these additional pictures, and the (supposedly) identical wheelbase to the old model, I'd have to guess that this is not in fact an all new model but rather a very extensive update of the existing truck.

If anything I'd say this has the same problem as the LS460: it's too good of a "logically" good car but it's lacking something intangible compared to the competition. The LS for all its goodness doesn't feel as special as an S550, 750Li, A8L or XJ8; and even though this totally out-gadgets and out-reliables a Range Rover, I dunno...there's some sort of appeal to the Rangie that this don't have.

Maybe it's just tough for me to accept cars this legitimately good from Lexus which has up til now done nothing more than make me want to go to sleep from looking at them.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:56 AM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
From looking at these additional pictures, and the (supposedly) identical wheelbase to the old model, I'd have to guess that this is not in fact an all new model but rather a very extensive update of the existing truck.

If anything I'd say this has the same problem as the LS460: it's too good of a "logically" good car but it's lacking something intangible compared to the competition. The LS for all its goodness doesn't feel as special as an S550, 750Li, A8L or XJ8; and even though this totally out-gadgets and out-reliables a Range Rover, I dunno...there's some sort of appeal to the Rangie that this don't have.

Maybe it's just tough for me to accept cars this legitimately good from Lexus which has up til now done nothing more than make me want to go to sleep from looking at them.
Don't be knocking the LX, it is derived from Toyota Landcruiser that has a long legacy, and possibly is the only offroader that can rival the Range. This new installment however lost its bold, tough appearance and looks rather minivanish. I'm sure soccer moms will buy tons of these.

And the the LS not being as special as S550, 750, A8L or XJ8? I would agree that S550 overall edges out the LS, especially with its AMG models but then the upcoming LS600h is about to put thing into a different perspective. But then to say that outdated, controvercial 7 series or rather plain A8 is somehow more special than LS, and then to even mention XJ, which is really a late 90ies design bastardized by Ford, is rather silly.

And don't get me wrong, if I was to chose between these five car, I'd prefer the A8L simply because its gorgeous. The S550 is way too bling bling and flashy, the 7 series is rather tacky, XJ is a joke, and LS... looks like a freaking camry. But then, the sales numbers are rather stubborn.

MARCH 2007 SALES

AUDI OF AMERICA, INC
A8/S8 362

JAGUAR BRAND
XJ 397

BMW Car Sales
7 Series 1,450

Mercedes-Benz USA
S-CLASS 2,440

TOYOTA RETAIL SALES
LS 460 3,134

And just for shits and giggles, lets throw in the Q45

INFINITI DIVISION SALES
Q45 2

And thats considering that Lexus only sells LS460/460L, compared to Audi A8, A8L, S8, BMW's 750, 750L, 760, Jaguar XJ/XJ-R, and MB S550/S550awd, S650 + AMG versions. When LS460 debuts, it will further increase LS sales and steal from rivals flagship sales.

Last edited by Ochdx; 04-06-2007 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:00 AM
ultramantaro

Originally Posted by Ochdx
Don't be knocking the LX, it is derived from Toyota Landcruiser that has a long legacy, and possibly is the only offroader that can rival the Range. This new installment however lost its bold, tough appearance and looks rather minivanish. I'm sure soccer moms will buy tons of these.

And the the LS not being as special as S550, 750, A8L or XJ8? I would agree that S550 overall edges out the LS, especially with its AMG models but then the upcoming LS600h is about to put thing into a different perspective. But then to say that outdated, controvercial 7 series or rather plain A8 is somehow more special than LS, and then to even mention XJ, which is really a late 90ies design bastardized by Ford, is rather silly.

And don't get me wrong, if I was to chose between these five car, I'd prefer the A8L simply because its gorgeous. The S550 is way too bling bling and flashy, the 7 series is rather tacky, XJ is a joke, and LS... looks like a freaking camry. But then, the sales numbers are rather stubborn.

MARCH 2007 SALES

AUDI OF AMERICA, INC
A8/S8 362

JAGUAR BRAND
XJ 397

BMW Car Sales
7 Series 1,450

Mercedes-Benz USA
S-CLASS 2,440

TOYOTA RETAIL SALES
LS 460 3,134

And just for shits and giggles, lets throw in the Q45

INFINITI DIVISION SALES
Q45 2

And thats considering that Lexus only sells LS460/460L, compared to Audi A8, A8L, S8, BMW's 750, 750L, 760, Jaguar XJ/XJ-R, and MB S550/S550awd, S650 + AMG versions. When LS460 debuts, it will further increase LS sales and steal from rivals flagship sales.
You do realize that the LS is newer than all the other models correct? The Q has also been discontinued.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:03 AM
ultramantaro

[CODE]

Bland as a a sheet of paper. This thing doesn't look any better than the outgoing model. It does sport a much better designed interior along with a much needed bump in power. It still however, appears to be a body on frame design which means it's a heck lot more off road capable than most of its competitors.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Don't be knocking the LX, it is derived from Toyota Landcruiser that has a long legacy, and possibly is the only offroader that can rival the Range.
And the the LS not being as special as S550, 750, A8L or XJ8?
MARCH 2007 SALES
Hey man no need to get all huffy.

I like the LX. Always have. Just that regardless of how good it is, there's a certain "spark" or something about it that's missing.

Same with the LS, not to mention that what makes an ultralux sedan special is partly that you won't see yourself coming the other way very often. If I drove around in an XJR I'd see way more LS460s before I saw another XJR.

I got nothing against em, and hell it's not like I have the money for any of these cars anyway, just that when I get to wishful thinking generally Lexus isn't what's coming off the tip of the tongue. Rational vehicles are for when you're spending rational money, when the price of the car itself is obscene then you might as well pick a car that you "shouldn't" be buying.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:08 PM
autofreak

Originally Posted by ultramantaro
Bland as a a sheet of paper. This thing doesn't look any better than the outgoing model. It does sport a much better designed interior along with a much needed bump in power. It still however, appears to be a body on frame design which means it's a heck lot more off road capable than most of its competitors.

I kind of find the uncluttered design quite appealing. It looks very modern and smooth unlike cars that just over due it with a character line here and there when I think it just shouldn't be like that. I also like the high belt line (which I don't find evident in this vehicle) that Lexus and Toyota have been incorporating into their designs. I also like the L-finesse theory that Lexus is abiding by. But regardless of my fascination by Toyota's design philosophy, there is just something about Honda that I think Toyota hasn't been able to actually demonstrate in their cars, or at least with their current vehicles, and that's a soul (forgive me for sounding so deep about a car). But one thing that Honda could learn from Toyota is their ability to make engine noise and vibration and road noise almost non-existant (which doesn't mean that Honda should also make their suspension softly sprung but just reduce noise within the cabin). Eh, but that's just my opinion.