Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Honda may outfit Ridgeline and others with V6 diesel

Old 12-04-2006, 05:57 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda may outfit Ridgeline and others with V6 diesel

In an interview with Automotive News, Honda's CEO, Takeo Fukui said that the automaker's newly developed diesel technology will find its way into their light truck offerings of the future.

The vehicles identified by Fukui as being the likely recipients of a V6 diesel are the Ridgeline pickup, Pilot SUV and Odyssey minivan, with Acura's MDX also being a candidate for oil-burning power.

The V6 engine is currently under development and will likely debut sometime after Honda introduces their 2.2-liter diesel in 2009.

Another interesting tidbit from Fukui's interview with AN was his comment about the possibility of future Honda vehicles receiving turbocharged mills. He indicated that the introduction of the turbo'd Acura RDX did not mean that only the high-end automaker would benefit from the glories of forced induction. We'd like to see a factory-blown version of the Honda Remix come out by the end of the decade, but we're not going to start saving up yet.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/04/h...ith-v6-diesel/

Last edited by MrFatbooty; 12-05-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:13 PM
MtViewGuy88
Hopeful FIT owner

This is the first official confirmation of the V-6 engine of (my guess) 3.0-liter size coming to the US market that uses the new plasma gas reactor catalyst Honda developed. It would certainly improve sales of the Honda Ridgeline, Honda Pilot, Hondy Odyssey and Acura MDX quite a bit.

Don't be surprised that Honda shows a demonstrator engine within the 12 months or so.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Troopa-R

I'm honestly more interested in the diesel 4. If Honda is truly able to get it 50-State legal (I'm in California, so that matters), and puts it into something with cargo space and SH-AWD other than an SUV, I might become a Honda owner yet again.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Ochdx

I personally hate diesels with a passion, and hope NY bans it.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:46 AM
MtViewGuy88
Hopeful FIT owner

Originally Posted by Ochdx
I personally hate diesels with a passion, and hope NY bans it.
Go drive the Mercedes-Benz E320CDI or the European market BMW 330d and you'll change your mind in no time flat.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:48 AM
MtViewGuy88
Hopeful FIT owner

Originally Posted by Troopa-R
I'm honestly more interested in the diesel 4. If Honda is truly able to get it 50-State legal (I'm in California, so that matters), and puts it into something with cargo space and SH-AWD other than an SUV, I might become a Honda owner yet again.
The most likely first US-model car to the get US-legal version of the i-CTDi engine will be the CR-V small SUV. And it will be a hot seller, too.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:24 AM
fjm1
G35

Originally Posted by MtViewGuy88
Go drive the Mercedes-Benz E320CDI or the European market BMW 330d and you'll change your mind in no time flat.
Yep, the small diesels everywhere else in the world are excellent. Unfortunately, we only get diesels in big honkin' pick 'em ups. Useless to me.

A small-ish SUV with diesel would be fantastic. Able to tow, 20 plus MPG, and a Honda badge would probably persuade me to test drive.

I really wanted to like the Jeep Liberty with the diesel. Piece of junk though.