Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Next Generation TL

Old 07-13-2006, 11:09 AM
autofreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Generation TL

I've been hearing rumors of the next generation TL getting a new j series engine with 295 hp and possibly even the SH-AWD system. Has anybody heard of this? Keeping that in mind, do you think that the 2008 Honda Accord would come with an engine similar or even identical to the current TL's (258 hp), especially with the new camry coming out wtih 268 hp and all. And one more question, do u think that Honda might come out with a six speed auto transmission?

Thx 4 your time,
Alex
Old 07-13-2006, 11:44 AM
AcuraFanatic

I think it's entirely too early to speculate on the next TL, which won't be til MY2009.

I think a 6-speed auto will be seen shortly, but where I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if the next MDX has it.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Ochdx

If they increase the TL power, they will need to do something about the RL as well.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:55 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Next Honda product due for an overhaul is the Accord for MY 08. My guess is that you will first see a 6 speed auto with the Accord EX V6.

BTW, SH-AWD and 295 hp is the current RL. I doubt you'd see the TL encroach on RL territory. I'll bet it remains front wheel drive only, and maybe 270 hp. But that's a long way off. Who knows what will happen by the time the TL is due for a redesign.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:26 AM
MtViewGuy88
Hopeful FIT owner

Originally Posted by fastball
My guess is that you will first see a 6 speed auto with the Accord EX V6.
While I do think the Accord V6-powered models will go with a six-speed automatic, I think Honda will watch how well Nissan does with the CVT automatics on the Altima. Don't be surprised that the 2008 next-generation Accord will sport a CVT automatic on the I4-powered models.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
autofreak

Originally Posted by MtViewGuy88
While I do think the Accord V6-powered models will go with a six-speed automatic, I think Honda will watch how well Nissan does with the CVT automatics on the Altima. Don't be surprised that the 2008 next-generation Accord will sport a CVT automatic on the I4-powered models.
I don't know about the 4 cylinder getting a CVT. Don't they make acceleration a bit more sluggish? For example the Nissan Murano has a CVT and Motorweek describes the CVT as not letting the engine perform at it's full potential. And in no way am i comparing the Murano the Accord, i am just simply stating what i've heard of the CVT transmission.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:45 AM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by autofreak
I don't know about the 4 cylinder getting a CVT. Don't they make acceleration a bit more sluggish? For example the Nissan Murano has a CVT and Motorweek describes the CVT as not letting the engine perform at it's full potential. And in no way am i comparing the Murano the Accord, i am just simply stating what i've heard of the CVT transmission.
acceleration ought to be better. but assuming there's some computer control of the CVT, i guess it would depend on how they program it. CVTs can keep the engine running at constant RPMs, at its peak power/efficiency. there's no need to shift, so there's no loss in acceleration whatsoever due to shift time. some CVTs also don't use torque converters, so there's some efficiency gained there. but they could program it however they want, so maybe the murano's CVT isn't setup for better acceleration.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:19 PM
MtViewGuy88
Hopeful FIT owner

Originally Posted by autofreak
From what I've read the CVT's manufactured by JATCO for the 2007 Nissans will have a different programming in terms of adjusting the ratios. They did this to minimize the "slipping clutch feel" that is the bane of older CVT's.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:13 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think honda will skip the six speed automatic and opt for a 7-speed. wanting to make more of a splash with the american audience who is starting to see auto 7's this year.

as far as the engine goes i speculate that they might opt for a dohc design-- they really need to keep things up to date and putting a dohc head on a v6 instead of the sohc engine they use now will probably place the output well into the 300's, probably 325-330.

seeing as honda and acura are striving to be more separate i feel that the next generation accord will have the same motor as the current generation. this will keep prices down for the accord while allowing the TL's marketshare to climb-- it will also allow the TL to separate itself from the rest of the crowd again and possibly get a much needed boost in appeal.

then again these are more wants than anything else-- i mean hopefully they will finally make it RWD but who knows.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by sherwood
i think honda will skip the six speed automatic and opt for a 7-speed. wanting to make more of a splash with the american audience who is starting to see auto 7's this year.
Have you heard whats been happening with MB's 7 speed trannies? Apparently they are nothing but trouble. We are yet to see how then upcoming 8 speed Lexus tranny does, but in any case, what is the sense of more than 5 gears in a low power V6 engine? The current 3.2 in the TL has no pull whatsoever in 5th gear, why bother with 7? Considering that Honda has no experience whatsoever in the V8 field, I tend to think they are going to stay with V6 engines and perhaps CVT.

as far as the engine goes i speculate that they might opt for a dohc design-- they really need to keep things up to date and putting a dohc head on a v6 instead of the sohc engine they use now will probably place the output well into the 300's, probably 325-330.
They might also go the turbo route for their entire lineup, if the RDX proves to be successful.

seeing as honda and acura are striving to be more separate i feel that the next generation accord will have the same motor as the current generation. this will keep prices down for the accord while allowing the TL's marketshare to climb-- it will also allow the TL to separate itself from the rest of the crowd again and possibly get a much needed boost in appeal.

then again these are more wants than anything else-- i mean hopefully they will finally make it RWD but who knows.
I doubt Accord will have the same engine, they must increase power to stay competitive, and more importantly, add torque. Accord is one of the most torqueless cars on the market now.

As far as RWD - forget about it.