Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Old 04-20-2006, 03:00 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Hyundai Elantra

Hyundai continues its attack on the big hitters with the next Elantra that it claims is "substantially roomier" than both Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and even outdoes the Acura TL. It does so by sitting 2.2 inches higher and two inches wider, which also boosts trunk capacity to 14.2 cubic feet. All that space makes this little runabout a midsize car, according to the EPA. Power comes from a 2.0-liter four with 138 hp and 136 lb-ft. Elantra boosts its value by offering six standard six airbags, anti-lock brakes and front-seat active head restraints. Elantra hits dealers this fall.

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specia...a/pages/01.htm

Press release:

NEW YORK, April 13, 2006 – The all-new 2007 Elantra makes its world debut today at the 2006 New York International Auto Show. Hyundai’s 2007 Elantra is the 7th all-new product from Hyundai in just 24 months, giving Hyundai the freshest lineup in the industry. All new from headlight to taillight, Elantra brings more refinement, safety and interior space to compact car shoppers. The all-new Elantra is substantially roomier than either Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla.

“With Hyundai’s assertive new design direction, the all-new Elantra delivers more interior space than an Acura TL, and a level of ride and handling refinement that’s both agile and comfortable,” said John Krafcik, vice president, Product Development and Strategic Planning, Hyundai Motor America. “Add in unsurpassed standard safety features like six airbags, anti-lock brakes and active front head restraints and the Elantra continues to offer exceptional value.”

IMPORTANT SAFETY FEATURES
All Elantras have six standard airbags, including two advanced front airbags, two front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and two side curtain airbags protecting front- and rear-seat outboard passengers, anti-lock brakes and front-seat active head restraints. Side-impact airbags are expensive options on direct competitors such as the Toyota Corolla and Ford Focus and are not available on the Chevrolet Cobalt. Side curtain air protection is optional on Corolla and Cobalt and still not available on Focus.

EXPRESSIVE AND CONFIDENT DESIGN
Elantra continues the dramatic new aerodynamic styling theme introduced on the all-new 2007 Santa Fe - assertive, refined and confident. Up front, the Elantra features projector-style headlights and a chrome-accented front grille for a more upscale appearance. The profile of Elantra features an expressive character line and a clean look with bodycolor door handles and mirrors. Elantra is wider and taller than its predecessor. Increasing the height 2.2 inches and moving the driver’s seating position up 1.8 inches opens up the cabin for more room and flexibility. Two inches of added width deliver more front and rear shoulder room as well.

A “CLASS ABOVE” INTERIOR
The Elantra is truly a “class above” Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla for interior room and now offers three percent more space than the outgoing model. Elantra is so roomy the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classifies it as a mid-size car, not a compact car like Civic and Corolla. With 97.9 cubic feet of passenger room and 14.2 cubic feet of trunk space, the Elantra has the most interior volume for a sedan in its class. Elantra’s total interior volume of 112.1 cubic feet exceeds the 2006 Civic sedan (102.9 cu. ft.), 2006 Corolla (103.8 cu. ft.) and even the near-luxury 2006 Acura TL (110.4 cubic feet) sedan. Elantra trunk capacity also beats Civic and Corolla. Its 14.2 cu. ft. of trunk volume is 18 percent larger than Civic and five percent bigger than Corolla.

SUSPENSION AND STEERING
Elantra’s design team worked to solve the classic design tradeoffs between interior roominess, agility and driving comfort. On one hand, interior space and cargo room are critically important in a sedan in this class; on the other hand, secure, responsive handling and good road isolation are also priorities. The Elantra’s ride quality improves upon that offered by Civic, Corolla, Focus and Cobalt. An advanced, motor-driven, engine-speed-sensing rack-and-pinion power steering ensures the new Elantra has a more agile driving feeling than key competitors.

24/7 PROGRAM
The new Elantra completes Hyundai’s 24/7 new product launch initiative when it goes on sale in fall 2006. Launched in January 2005, the 24/7 product plan includes the arrival of the all-new Tucson, Sonata, Accent, Azera, Santa Fe, Entourage and Elantra. From the flagship, full-size Azera to the entry-level Accent, each of these models has unsurpassed safety technologies and reflects the Hyundai brand’s refined and confident nature.

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specia...antra/info.doc
Old 04-20-2006, 06:02 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Elantra, Sonata, and Azera are a hat-trick.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Cyclonus
UP AND ADD THEM

holy corolla
Old 04-20-2006, 07:42 PM
AcuraFanatic

Meh.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:10 PM
ziggyziggy
i am asian

looks 10 times better than urrent model. but 138hp for such a big vehicle is ghey
Old 04-23-2006, 12:11 PM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Originally Posted by ziggyziggy
looks 10 times better than urrent model. but 138hp for such a big vehicle is ghey
I agree. It definitely needs a Hemi, I mean what were they thinking putting a 4-cylinder 138HP engine in an economy car?

Seriously, 138HP is more than enough power for this car and the people who will be driving it.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Ochdx

another copy cat, no respect from me.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:20 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Say what you want about it being under powered or a copy of the Corolla, when it's priced by up to 5 grand less than their competitors, they can cause some damage. Especially with the segment of the car market who look at nothing but price.

Hyundai would never be on my shopping list, but they are nonetheless a formidable player.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 AM
BONE

I hate when these car companies compare their cars to other cars like Honda, Toyota etc just build the car pack it with all the features one would expect and sell it and stop saying stuff like I know its an Elantra but it has more interior space than an Acura TL so what. Hyundai also said that its Sonata is larger than the Camry and Accord which are mid size sedans saying that the Sonata is classified as a large car when to me it has no more interior room than my 01 Accord EX. Hyundai stop comparing and just sell cars already.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:55 PM
DevilMayCry
HMC Fanatic

Originally Posted by BONE
I hate when these car companies compare their cars to other cars like Honda, Toyota etc just build the car pack it with all the features one would expect and sell it and stop saying stuff like I know its an Elantra but it has more interior space than an Acura TL so what. Hyundai also said that its Sonata is larger than the Camry and Accord which are mid size sedans saying that the Sonata is classified as a large car when to me it has no more interior room than my 01 Accord EX. Hyundai stop comparing and just sell cars already.

Ya, like in the TV ad where they says that the Azera has more interior room than a BMW 7-series. Wow! Really!?!?