Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

new Audi S4

Old 09-17-2002, 08:06 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Audi S4

The new Audi S4 - Supreme power and superior handling

Audi is unveiling the sporty top model in the A4 range. The new S4 is making its debut at the 2002 Paris Motor Show. Like its predecessor, the current version is also available as a saloon and an Avant. The heart of the new Audi S4 is quite clearly its engine - a further refined V8 with chain drive at the rear and a swept volume of 4.2 litres. It produces 253 kW (344 bhp) and a torque of 410 Nm.

The eight-cylinder engine’s thrust enables the new Audi S4 with 6-speed manual gearbox to complete the sprint from 0 to 100 km/h in just 5.6 seconds. It takes just 20.6 seconds to reach 200 km/h, whilst the top speed is a governed 250 km/h.

The entire V8, with a gross weight of just 195 kilograms, is just as light as its predecessor in the previous S4, a twin-turbo 2.7-litre V6 engine. This results in major benefits for the weight balance and handling characteristics.

The 4.2-litre engine in the new S4 produces its maximum power of 253 kW (344 bhp) at 7000 rpm. The peak torque of 410 Nm is available at 3500 rpm

The suspension

The lightweight aluminium suspension, based on the much-praised axle design of the A4 series, provides the ideal basis for maximum agility and, consequently, sheer driving pleasure.

Four-link front suspension and trapezoidal-link rear suspension enable maximum steering precision and clearly defined handling with excellent cornering stability. Ride comfort also benefits from this ingenious axle design because a low unsprung mass also makes for a particularly sensitive response from the suspension.

Design and equipment

The superiority of the new Audi S4 is immediately reflected in its deliberately restrained appearance. The body of the S4 Saloon and Avant, which is sporty in terms of both its proportions and its basic shape, only differs subtly from the other members of the model line.

The more powerful, fully painted bumpers with large air inlets, xenon headlights with contrasting titanium-coloured inner housing and polished aluminium exterior mirrors indicate to those in the know that they are looking at a very special Audi.

Powerful exhaust tailpipes on both sides and - on the saloon version - a discreet rear spoiler are the characteristic features of the Audi S4 at the rear end.

An S4 is also immediately recognisable on the inside. The instrument cluster has the grey dials that are characteristic of S models and special needles. The three-spoke sports steering wheel with leather rim and S emblem also emphasises the vehicle’s sporting character.

Recaro sports seats that can be electrically adjusted in several directions provide firm lateral support and excellent comfort on long journeys.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:42 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

The black lower side sills look out of place on the car.
Waaaaaaay too similar to a regular A4. Wolf in sheeps clothing

Keeping the same weight as previous version but whilst adding a torquey V8 simply superb!!
Old 09-17-2002, 09:33 AM
Xcivic

That 0-60 number better be conservative, or else it won't compete with the M3. I also don't like the idea of a V8...

inline 6 > all
Old 09-17-2002, 09:59 AM
Xcivic

The move to V8's is obvious. However my opinion is that the inline-6 is the best engine configuration. Again this is my opinion by weighing advantages and disadvantages.

And if those 0-60mph (0-100km/h) are truly 5.6 seconds, the more to the V8 obviously wasn't worth it. Again, my preference is the inline-6.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Xcivic

Originally posted by DakarM
Actually...

...anyways this would allow the M3 to hit the magic 400hp mark and still keep the inline6. The move to V8 engine is so they can qualify to race with the V8.
You obviously know a whole lot more about this than I do. I was just saying that I perfer a good inline-6 over all other engine configurations. Either way the S4 is a nice vehicle... but they seem to have fallen short of the M3 yet again.

One more thing... 410Nm of torque is equal to what lb-ft?
Old 09-17-2002, 10:39 AM
yianni64

5.6 is almost a full second slower than the M3. With gobs more torque and AWD traction, that MUST be very conservative.

Anyways, lets see, I live the styling and sleeper factor of the Avant more. I personally prefer a twin turbo engine, but I cant complain about this.

Anyways, the M3 is a coupe/convirtible while this is a sedan/wagon. So it's all gravy.

Also, it said it was going to be the top of the A4 range... what about the RS4?

And as for the future of the M3, I much rather see a twin turbo Inline-6 than a V8.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:41 AM
yianni64

Oh how I live how much carbon fiber Audi uses in the S/RS lineup

And the the RS6
Old 09-17-2002, 10:51 AM
DakarM

Originally posted by Xcivic

One more thing... 410Nm of torque is equal to what lb-ft?

410Nm ~ = 310lb.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:55 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually the 5.6 time is for 0-100km/h not 0-60.

i believe the M3 does 0-100km/h in 5.2 or 5.4 seconds.
so 62 MPH...basically the same sprint unless you shift at 61 MPH. The M3 is upper 4's. The 0-60 time of 5.6 is very conservative, all factory estimates are (except Nissan :fawk: ). I'll bet it does it in 5 flat or so. Definetly a beautiful car, I love it.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:07 AM
yianni64

actually the 5.6 time is for 0-100km/h not 0-60.

i believe the M3 does 0-100km/h in 5.2 or 5.4 seconds.
Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES

so 62 MPH...basically the same sprint unless you shift at 61 MPH. The M3 is upper 4's. The 0-60 time of 5.6 is very conservative, all factory estimates are (except Nissan :fawk: ). I'll bet it does it in 5 flat or so. Definetly a beautiful car, I love it.
Thank you, i was about to say that the difference between 0-60mph and 0-100kmh is only 2mph, so like .1 seconds.

Not to mention the M3 got a 4.7 0-60 form Motortrend.

Anyways, as we all know the test conditions can vary so much that its kind of silly to compare. So we'll see when they go up to one another head to head which is faster.

Quick Reply: new Audi S4