Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

The Future of 3 Coupes - The CL, Prelude, and CRX

Old 08-28-2002, 02:35 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RavenLude
According to Honda reps at the '03 Accord sales ride and drive.
They mainly trained us on the sedan, however gave insight and info on the upcoming v6 coupe and said it would have 17s, 6speed, and hlsd to segregate it from other accord coupes.

Wait until you see pictures of this model in the original silver that was available on the '00-01 S2k.
You're gonna give me wet dreams man

What dealership do you work at?
Old 08-28-2002, 03:00 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone here said it. The Prelude got squeezed out by the RSX and Accord coupe.

I have always loved the 90-91 body style of the Prelude. I was never a big fan of the more radical 92-96 body styles. I loved the 97+ body, minus the headlights. The headlights took me a year to actually accept, but by that time the 6th gen Accord coupe debut with a whole new body style different from the sedan. That spelled doom for the Prelude. For $23k, I couldn't find any real justfication for the smaller Prelude over the bigger, plushier Accord EXv6 couple, except for the faster 5spd and better handling. If the Prelude was a couple of grand less, than maybe it would've been better sale, but with the RSX-S, the future and direction of the Prelude was gone. :wtc: I don't know if the Prelude will ever come back. It was never a performance model like the Supra or Z. It was just a nice, quick, comfortable, reliable sport coupe. The reign is now passed on to the Accord coupe.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:14 PM
yianni64

I read an article that said, same tranny as the CL-S minus the LSD.

The LSD can make it or break it in the eyes of a few.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:57 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

I added in the CRX, I forgot all about it.

I think there IS a very strong market for small pocket rockets...if Honda can bring it back as a bare essentials to moderately equipped pocket rocket for 14-16 grand starting, they'd have trouble keeping them on the lots IMO.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:23 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES
I added in the CRX, I forgot all about it.

I think there IS a very strong market for small pocket rockets...if Honda can bring it back as a bare essentials to moderately equipped pocket rocket for 14-16 grand starting, they'd have trouble keeping them on the lots IMO.
Very, very true. Imagine how many kids would jump on the wagon to buy a new sporty Honda......

It'll be Honda's way of supporting the aftermarket in a big way too. The CRX's light weight was everyone's best friend. And with a K20 with 160-200hp itll be something else alright.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:49 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i could never forget the crx...take the insight chassis beef it up a little...use the same sheetmetal made from steel and stick in even a dinky d17a engine/tranny from the 7g civic...it'll be around 2100lbs and have up to 130hp in an si model

my question is why not do it since it just uses parts from existing cars and adds little extra effort?
Old 08-29-2002, 04:18 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by jaje
i could never forget the crx...take the insight chassis beef it up a little...use the same sheetmetal made from steel and stick in even a dinky d17a engine/tranny from the 7g civic...it'll be around 2100lbs and have up to 130hp in an si model

my question is why not do it since it just uses parts from existing cars and adds little extra effort?
Wouldn't the cost of that chassis be very expensive?
Old 08-29-2002, 08:48 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES
Wouldn't the cost of that chassis be very expensive?
i'm sure if they sold more than 30-40k units it would benefit from economies of scale thereby reducing costs associated with the changes to the chassis and the chassis itself
Old 08-29-2002, 09:00 AM
Troopa-R

Replace the Civic Si with a legitimate CRX successor, give those Brits something worthwhile to make at Swindon.

Also, I'll have to agree with the people who say Prelude will be back. Along with Legend and Integra, Prelude will be back. Those three names have big history with Honda. Even if it does take a few decades, Prelude, Legend, and Integra will return to the US. (I know that Legend and Integra never left the rest of the world. But I'm an American. I don't think like that. )
Old 08-29-2002, 09:43 AM
AcuraFanatic

The name will come back, but the [Prelude] life of the car will probably be in a different segment. I don't think it'll be doing battle with the Eclipse anymore. The RSX is close to that.

When you think about it, I think the Integra GS-R also probably stole quite a few Prelude sales.

Quick Reply: The Future of 3 Coupes - The CL, Prelude, and CRX