Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Toyota to scrap Celica, MR2 models

Old 07-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Ochdx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess corolla type S is now toyota's premium sports car... lol
Old 07-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally Posted by Ochdx
i guess corolla type S is now toyota's premium sports car... lol
its corrola S.. no "type"

h:

XRS 170 hp is here though
Old 07-17-2004, 02:08 PM
revhappy420

no, actually, the "Solara sport coupe will be the hot sports car ! how sad. this is going to hurt toyota if they continue with this same boring lineup. the buzz around the XB wont last more than a year more, and the TC will most likely meet the same fate as the celica, its hyped now just like the celica was in 2000, but fun to drive and toyota now officially dont belong in the same senence. the only thing saving it is the IS. if toyota drops the ball and doesnt offer a supra on the next gen IS platform, toyota to the next generation of buyers will be known more in line with buicks, sad day indeed!
Old 07-17-2004, 04:25 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

i really despise that stupid corolla S. it makes people think acura's type-s name is a joke or something. everytime i hear "corolla type s" it just pisses me off. thx again toyota.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:38 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

No incentives on the MR2 or Celica right now. The MR2 sits in the showroom as something neat for people to look at while they're buying something else. Same reason we have a tank full of exotic fish. If someone comes along and decides to buy it, then we'll go ahead and do it. The car, not the fish.

The tC is selling like proverbial hotcakes right now. They're either sold before they even come in on a truck, or if not then within a day or two of coming in.

The Corolla XRS has the VVTL-i engine from the Celica GT-S but with 10 less hp (170 total) due to some changes in the ECU for cleaner emissions. We only have two of them--one has been sitting in the showroom for weeks and the other came in a few days ago and is out on the lot. Not much interest in the car, even with Toyota's stupid Six Flags tie-in commercial.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:15 PM
ED9man
driver

Toyota hates enthusiasts
Old 07-17-2004, 07:38 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
The Corolla XRS has the VVTL-i engine from the Celica GT-S but with 10 less hp (170 total) due to some changes in the ECU for cleaner emissions. We only have two of them--one has been sitting in the showroom for weeks and the other came in a few days ago and is out on the lot. Not much interest in the car, even with Toyota's stupid Six Flags tie-in commercial.
Yeah that XRS commercial is so ridiculously stupid, it's funny you said something about it.

I really never thought there was much of a market for the XRS...people in that category dont want a YTTC (was that it, Mike?) that's known for reliability and value for the purpose of performance. I mean, it doesn't even look much different from the S model. I don't think Toyota did their homework with that model. I would have saved the money and not even built it or made it look much different from the standard Corolla, with like blacked out headlights or a different skirt kit or some dumb aesthetic thing like that...thats what drives a non-enthusiast to buy a car like that most of the time, and thats good since I doubt many enthusiasts wander into Toyota showrooms.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:05 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Originally Posted by fastball
Toyota droped the ball when they redesigned the Celica in '99. I thought the last generation (94-98) looked great. But the GT had a bit of an anemic drive train. So in '99 they put the right drivetrain and suspension in the GT-S, but the wedgey look I think turned people (including me) off.
Fair assessment ... aka same way I think.

Lexus IS lineup is supposed to get a coupe.
Won't be cheap though; I expect them to increase the price on the IS300.

So "Lexus" and "Scion" will have sport coupes, but "Toyota" offers only their version of a Buick Riviera (Camry Solara) until their Supra-successor or high-end (Volta) exotic get into production. I assume that they plan something to meet the 350Z or surpass it, as well as a 'supersport' [they should call it that] GT to top off the Lexus line with a high-luxury performance machine.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:13 PM
gotarheels03

As someone who really does love toyota's (had one as my 1st car.) I must say I simply do not understand what they are doing. They now have absolutely NOTHING sporty in the lineup! (if you call the Celica GT and ugly ass MR-S sporty) Remember both those cars shared the same 1ZZFE found in the Corolla. Thats pretty sad. Its sad they are discontinuing them, buit they really werent sporty to begin with, it was all looks. The 2ZZGE in the Celica had NO torque, and it was still FWD.

If only they brought back something like the mid 90's MR-2 Turbo.......

Toyota considers cars like the Solara, and the Corolla "fun to drive" My corolla was no where near "fun to drive" till I modded it, and my moms 02 Solara certainly isnt sporty.

They have some decent cars for us young people (XRS, Scion TC) but nothing really exciting. Sadly they have little interest in the enthusiast market, because they've been on the top of the industry doing just that, ignoring us.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:15 PM
gotarheels03

oh and their supra succesor the "Volta" screw it. Im glad they didnt call it a Supra. The TT MKIV's were great cars, and introducing a new "Supra" that was not turbocharged would have been a Joke.