Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Acura RL Prototype Images

Old 04-29-2004, 11:35 PM
zishan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ochdx
There aren't any specs released on the next GS yet, so anything could happen. And 2JZ-GE is the best 6 cylinder engine ever made, much better than the bored camry V6.

Advanced Safety Features
The GS will also offer an optional Pre-Collision System (PCS) that can help reduce collision injury and damage. The system uses a millimeter-wave radar sensor to detect obstacles in front of the car and a pre-collision system computer with vehicle speed, steering angle and yaw rate inputs that help to determine in advance whether a collision is unavoidable. The system then preemptively retracts front seat belts and prepares Brake Assist for increased braking force to help reduce collision speed.
In addition, the new GS gains new knee airbags for the driver and front passenger as well as front and rear side curtain airbags as standard equipment. The Supplemental Restraint System in the new GS also includes variable-force front airbags for both driver and front passenger. Sensors determine the severity of the accident and in turn the force with which to deploy the front airbags, helping to provide the appropriate level of occupant restraint.
“Nearly every feature on the GS makes this sports sedan more manageable and more engaging to drive,” said Clements.

Preliminary Specifications
Wheelbase: 112.2 in.
Length: 189.8 in.
Width: 71.7 in.
Height: 56.1 in.
Engines: 3.3 liter V6 – 245 hp; 228 lb.-ft. of torque
4.3 liter V8 – 300 hp; 325 lb.-ft. of torque
Transmission: 6-speed sequential automatic
yes the specs are preliminary...but they are from lexus. Maybe they'll be able to squeeze more power out of the engine..but 3.3 V6 is pretty set. no more I6

anyways...that's all im going to say about that because I've gotten wayy of topic from what this thread was originally about.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:21 AM
mayonaise

Try to realize that the driving dynamics of RL is closer to driving dynamics of LS and ES (bloaty, soft, quiet, aka buick century); same goes for its appearance inside/out - pretty boring yet expensive and classy looking. Perfect ride for upper middle class old farts, soccer moms and dads.
have you just been ignoring EVERYTHING that has been said about the new RL?? mainly about the SH-AWD, and how it can whip a skyline GTR on the track...??? bloaty and soft my ass.. the old RL, maybe, but wait until the thing comes out and we see some road tests before you decide what the handling on a car is that almost nobody on the planet has driven - especially YOU.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:04 AM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by mayonaise
have you just been ignoring EVERYTHING that has been said about the new RL?? mainly about the SH-AWD, and how it can whip a skyline GTR on the track...??? bloaty and soft my ass.. the old RL, maybe, but wait until the thing comes out and we see some road tests before you decide what the handling on a car is that almost nobody on the planet has driven - especially YOU.
why does a luxury car need to whip skyline on the track?
Old 04-30-2004, 02:17 AM
mayonaise

no one said a luxury car NEEDS to whip a skyline on the track, but apparently the new RL does. hence, it doesn't have "bloaty" and "soft" handling, which is one of your arguments as to why you think the RL competes with the ES and LS.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:44 AM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

There's a reason I don't spend as much time on Honda boards as Nissan boards. Honduh people don't know their stuff as well.

I guess that's okay insofar as Honda does build models somewhat out-of-line with the competition, i.e. Nissan and Toyota traditionally match each other, whereas Integras and Legends, to name a few, really came out of nowhere and took over market niches. And the Accord plays everything from a cheap midsize sedan to a nearlux V6 rocket. Honda doesn't have a direct competitor per se for the Avalon and Maxima, for example.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:59 AM
zishan

Originally Posted by mayonaise

sounds like the same kinda rubbish that nissan was claiming about the spec v whipping the ITR at the track.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:01 AM
zishan

maybe because its competing with the GS330/430 and the M35/45. not the LS430 and Q45
Old 04-30-2004, 09:34 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

If a badger steps on a mushroom in the dairy barn but the sorority girl doesn't hang out with blondes, then what is the intended meaning of the color yellow?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:46 AM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
If a badger steps on a mushroom in the dairy barn but the sorority girl doesn't hang out with blondes, then what is the intended meaning of the color yellow?
That's pretty deep.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by zishan
maybe because its competing with the GS330/430 and the M35/45. not the LS430 and Q45
I guess maybe the new one will, but then what the hell will compete with LS430 and Q45?