Notices

thoughts on selling my bike...

Old 04-27-2008, 01:57 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on selling my bike...

so i had pretty much decided that i was going to get rid of the bike... i didnt get any use out of it last year and i dont really have any friends that ride. i didnt really get excited at the prospect of riding all winter or even now that it is starting to warm up... it just didnt seem like it was worth keeping.

so this guy came to look at it today, he gave me luke warm feedback... has to "talk it over with the wife" but after he left i started to think that maybe i should keep it afterall :hsugh:

dont know what to do, if i keep it... i need to replace the fork seals and put a little bit of money into it... if i sell it, i am afraid i will regret it and probably never really ride again... and there really arent any other toys out there that i seem to want right now....

i'm just thinking out loud but feel free to discuss/comment as you wish...
Old 04-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

What do you ride again?

EDIT:I THINK I FOUND IT

1985 honda vf500c magna v30

One of these right? If so...

That is an older bike. While older bikes aren't bad, maybe it's just not for you. Maybe you're not a "cruiser" guy. Ever think of selling it and trying another "type" of bike... like a standard or a 250cc sport-bike?

Maybe you're not having fun because your current motorcycle does not fit you well.

Last edited by Megatron; 04-27-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Originally Posted by Megatron
What do you ride again?

EDIT:I THINK I FOUND IT

One of these right? If so...

That is an older bike. While older bikes aren't bad, maybe it's just not for you. Maybe you're not a "cruiser" guy. Ever think of selling it and trying another "type" of bike... like a standard or a 250cc sport-bike?

Maybe you're not having fun because your current motorcycle does not fit you well.
few different accessories but same bike. a few people have suggested that maybe the problem isnt me, its my bike... or at least a combo of the two... i would like to ride a couple different bikes to see if maybe i can get more comfortable on them. there isnt a lot of space in my budget to buy anything too nice/new (we bought a new house in nov and we have a baby on the way...) but at least knowing might give me some incentive to keep riding...

my father in law has a 200cc Honda, its like a 1980... i am more comfortable on that, perhaps subconsciously because i know it isnt as heavy or powerful... anyway he just got a porsche so i think the bike will take a backseat, i am going to see if i can "borrow" it for a few weeks, get some experience and get my confidence up and then give my bike a go again...
Old 04-27-2008, 07:48 PM
mr22na
Miss It.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell it get somethin new-er

im getting a Triumph of some sort.
either street triple or daytona

i encourage you to look at some of the retro-vintage triumphs.

get a Cafe Racer those are sweet.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Originally Posted by ISP James
there isnt a lot of space in my budget to buy anything too nice/new (we bought a new house in nov and we have a baby on the way...)

my father in law has a 200cc Honda, its like a 1980... i am more comfortable on that, perhaps subconsciously because i know it isnt as heavy or powerful... anyway he just got a porsche so i think the bike will take a backseat, i am going to see if i can "borrow" it for a few weeks, get some experience and get my confidence up and then give my bike a go again...
Congrats on the baby!

If you feel more comfortable learning on a lower displacement bike, you could sell the Magna,use the $$$ towards something different.

Maybe the previous body style, 250cc Ninja?

Now for the obligatory "responsible" advice:

You've got a wife, mortgage, and kiddo on the way. You're already uncomfortable riding. By it's nature, motorcycling carries a higher risk of injury/death.

You're main issue was not being able to find the time to ride and practice your skills. All your "free" time will go out the window once the kiddo is born.

At this point, it seems to me that:

Wife, Mortgage, baby on the way > risk of motorcycling

Maybe it would be a good idea to stop motorcycling for now. Pick it back up once things "settle" down.

It's up to you to decide what's an "acceptable" level of risk given your situation. I just give this cautionary advice because you have a kid on the way, and I'd feel like a complete jerk for intentionally not bringing it up.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Congrats on the baby!

If you feel more comfortable learning on a lower displacement bike, you could sell the Magna,use the $$$ towards something different.

Maybe the previous body style, 250cc Ninja?

Now for the obligatory "responsible" advice:

You've got a wife, mortgage, and kiddo on the way. You're already uncomfortable riding. By it's nature, motorcycling carries a higher risk of injury/death.

You're main issue was not being able to find the time to ride and practice your skills. All your "free" time will go out the window once the kiddo is born.

At this point, it seems to me that:

Wife, Mortgage, baby on the way > risk of motorcycling

Maybe it would be a good idea to stop motorcycling for now. Pick it back up once things "settle" down.

It's up to you to decide what's an "acceptable" level of risk given your situation. I just give this cautionary advice because you have a kid on the way, and I'd feel like a complete jerk for intentionally not bringing it up.
thank you

well, i think if i am going to continue to ride, im just gonna have to get used to what i have... its paid for, i can insure it for 80 bucks a year (100/300 coverage) and it will be easier to justify an upgrade if i learn to enjoy riding...

now, my baby isnt due until Nov 30 so I will still have a full season of riding if i decide to keep it... as for the responsible advice, that is something that is always on my mind... i am in the process of looking into life insurance but that was more for something unrelated to motorcycling, just being generally responsible... i dont want to have to worry about my family if something were to happen to me. there has been some thought about giving it up for now, my fear is that if i do, i will never go back to it.

the thing that kills me, ive never wanted to enjoy anything as much as ive wanted to enjoy motorcycling. i like motorcycles, when i see other people enjoying a ride or talking about how much they enjoy riding, it kind of makes me jealous. i want to be a good rider, i want to enjoy it, i am just not sure if i can get over myself long enough to learn to ride well and learn to enjoy it. :hs: another problem, anytime i see/read/hear about anything bad happening to somebody on a bike, i think to myself "no way that its worth it" i know thats kind of a puss approach but... i think its good to have a healthy respect for the danger that comes with this hobby...
Old 04-29-2008, 05:47 AM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Originally Posted by ISP James
the thing that kills me, ive never wanted to enjoy anything as much as ive wanted to enjoy motorcycling. i like motorcycles, when i see other people enjoying a ride or talking about how much they enjoy riding, it kind of makes me jealous. i want to be a good rider, i want to enjoy it, i am just not sure if i can get over myself long enough to learn to ride well and learn to enjoy it. :hs: another problem, anytime i see/read/hear about anything bad happening to somebody on a bike, i think to myself "no way that its worth it" i know thats kind of a puss approach but... i think its good to have a healthy respect for the danger that comes with this hobby...
Just keep what you got and ride when you can.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:30 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

you make it sound so simple h:
Old 04-30-2008, 03:30 AM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Sometimes, people make things more complicated than they need to be. :grinpimp:
Old 04-30-2008, 04:47 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Sometimes, people make things more complicated than they need to be. :grinpimp:
you may be right :hsugh: but i feel badly now that i offered it to the guy and might back out... and if i do back out of the sale and then decide that i should have sold it....

this isnt going to get any easier for me