Notices
View Poll Results: When do you replace your bikes tires?
When the tread wear indicators have been reached
60.00%
When it's almost as slick as a babys butt
20.00%
When it is as slick as a babys butt
0%
Or, when the threads are showing.
20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

When do you replace your motorcycle tires?

Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do you replace your motorcycle tires?

I may have to drop my full coverage insurance, just to afford tires for my R1. It seems it needs new tires every month or so. Anyway, i'm just curious as to when all of you replace your tires? Also, do you all replace them in pairs or just when one wears out?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:37 PM
J-S2000

you need new tires every month?? what??? how many miles a week, month do you ride?? what brand of tires do you use?? theres no way you should need a pair of tires every month doggy. what year is your R1?? Im a proud owner of an 04 and my tires are still stickin.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:32 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

You shouldn't play around with bike tires IMO. As soon as you have any questions about thier ability I saw ditch em. And I say you don't have to do pairs. The tread wear is too different for the them as they're totally different.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:43 AM
koihoshi

Originally Posted by bluetwo
You shouldn't play around with bike tires IMO. As soon as you have any questions about thier ability I saw ditch em. And I say you don't have to do pairs. The tread wear is too different for the them as they're totally different.
Agreed - If you are having to ask when to change the tires, thats not a good idea. If you can look at it and say "I don't know if i want to ride on that" or "i don't want to START riding on that" or even "wow they're starting to look bad" replace them, don't ask. Last thing you want is losing traction.

Front and back are going to wear different and it's going to highly depend on your riding style.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:39 PM
grcivicsi06

I just replaced my back tire on my 599 at 5800k. The front passed inspection, but is getting down there. I've heard it said, change the front every other rear change, but I don't think my front will make it. 5k to 6k is about normal for a soft compound tire.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:31 PM
koihoshi

Yeah don't follow a pattern, if it looks bad, change it. Not worth asphault surfing over it.