Notices

switch to rc51?!?!

Old 05-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Ek-gurl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switch to rc51?!?!

hello. i've been on a '95 gixxer750 for the past 2 years... i love this beast, but i'm starting to eye an rc51 or maybe even a dreamy ducati 748. can you guys let me know how well these machines run? i'm not so interested in the power, since i know they they can hold their own. but i was wondering if i can get some input on reliability, maintenance issues, comfort, handling, etc...

thanks all!
Old 05-29-2005, 08:48 PM
CPL

Ducati= high & expensive maintenance.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:11 PM
DamnAccord
Closet Gun Nut

Reliability... Honda all the way. But Ducati can be just as reliable to if you maintain it right; it'll just cost a bit more, unless you know how to wrench on your own bike. Comfort, it's all relative. You're just going to have to sit on it and decide on your own. The only thing I hate about the RC51 is the weight but that shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you're a serious track rider or constantly hitting up the twisites. Handling... well.... I'd say the 748 has an edge over the rc(if the same professional rider were testing both bikes the same day). The 748 has a slim profile and it's weight is distributed evenly. Good luck with your search. Both are awesome bikes to have!
Old 05-29-2005, 09:48 PM
prelood

Originally Posted by DamnAccord
Reliability... Honda all the way. But Ducati can be just as reliable to if you maintain it right; it'll just cost a bit more, unless you know how to wrench on your own bike. Comfort, it's all relative. You're just going to have to sit on it and decide on your own. The only thing I hate about the RC51 is the weight but that shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you're a serious track rider or constantly hitting up the twisites. Handling... well.... I'd say the 748 has an edge over the rc(if the same professional rider were testing both bikes the same day). The 748 has a slim profile and it's weight is distributed evenly. Good luck with your search. Both are awesome bikes to have!
Good way to put it.

Since your name is "Ek_gurl" I'm assuming you are a girl- so the Ducati killing your crotch won't be as much of a problem.

Personally I would take the RC51, just due to the expenses of the Duc and it's possible maintenence.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Ek-gurl

thanks for the input. my old '95 750w is heavier than my friends' cbrs and r1's, so i'm sure both these bikes would definitely feel more nimble than what i'm on now.

i'm also not a HUGE gear head, so chances are someone's going to be doing the wrenching if it's beyond the difficulty of changing oil, filters, and the like.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:55 PM
J-S2000

NIETHER, I would stick with the gixxers . Step it up to the new 1000, the handle, awesome power, great body.. Shit its almost like im describing my dream girl man.. LMAO SEXY AND FAST all in 1.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:18 PM
AcuraFanatic

As the owner of an '03 RC51, my only real complaint is the bike is uncomfortable as all hell.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:45 AM
J-S2000

yeah I heard that , when NICKY HAYDEN road for the AMA HONDATEAM they rolled out with the fleet of the RC51's they were excited but when it came down to a few laps for position , he claimed that the bike gets extremely hot and very uncomfortable to ride.