Notices

Stolen Bike

Old 11-04-2004, 02:04 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's not hard to swap plates, and cops rarely know the model/make of a bike anyway, so when they put it in they just htink that as long as the plate doesnt come up stolen it's just peachy
Old 11-05-2004, 04:15 PM
h22afreak
IN BOOST WE TRUST.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All thieves should be hung by thier nuts.
sorry to hear that man i hope you have some good news next time you post.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:37 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

yeah...

i saw a few CBR's, a few R6's, GSX-R's, and maybe a few liter bikes when coming out of work today. man, i miss it.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:16 AM
oldskoolcivic

how hard is it really to steal a bike? im thinking of getting one, but i live in chinatown... tons of bums and thieves..... like for cars its busting the windows and ignition, or something similar, but for bikes is it alot easier?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:23 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by oldskoolcivic
how hard is it really to steal a bike? im thinking of getting one, but i live in chinatown... tons of bums and thieves..... like for cars its busting the windows and ignition, or something similar, but for bikes is it alot easier?

Its a hell of a lot easier. Its so easy all you have to do is run with it. Im not going to get into details. But trust me its easily easily done
Old 11-16-2004, 01:22 PM
DamnAccord
Closet Gun Nut

Originally Posted by oldskoolcivic

Yup, it sure is. I mean for one, the ignition is right there so if the theif had the skills, he can ride off with it. And they can also cut locks pretty easy too. But if they really want the bike, all they would need to do is get a trunk or a cargo van, have 2 or 3 people lift it and then throw it in the van/truck. I've read so many stories about it, makes me so paranoid when I leave my bike out in the open. You can have all the locks and alarms you want on a bike but if a thief really wants it, then he/she will find a way to get it. The best thing to do is to get or have comprehensive insurance.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:46 AM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

well, the guy who i was thinking stole it came by my house on thanksgiving.

a mutual friend told him what i was thinking. anyway, long story short, he came by and said he didn't take it. he said it's his bad that he did stop callin' or hanging out after my bike was stolen, and that he'd gotten too busy with his new bike crew since it'd been stolen.

if he took it or not, we made our peace (although there wasn't really any drama to begin with, since it was only speculation).
Old 12-13-2004, 08:40 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by pUrExTc
well, the guy who i was thinking stole it came by my house on thanksgiving.

a mutual friend told him what i was thinking. anyway, long story short, he came by and said he didn't take it. he said it's his bad that he did stop callin' or hanging out after my bike was stolen, and that he'd gotten too busy with his new bike crew since it'd been stolen.

if he took it or not, we made our peace (although there wasn't really any drama to begin with, since it was only speculation).

I would of done the same thing just to get the person to stop thinking I took it.

Oh well....Bike is stolen,,,you were paid...Its a nice sunny day....= )
Old 12-14-2004, 06:02 AM
VPUPPY

i'd say forget it even though its hard, whoever stole it will pay the price later on, what goes around comes around, atleast have your car.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:41 AM
jweltch
Closet Ricer

Bummer about your bike. Is that a picture of you trying to hang off the bike in all of your "protective gear"? If so, you're better off staying in a car, but I digress.

I've worked on many sportbikes and racebikes over the years. You have no idea how easy it is to strip a bike to the frame. I personally can have an R1 stripped to the frame/motor in less than a couple of hours by myself. Imagine how quickly it can be done with an army of professional theives. :eek3:

A lot of stolen bikes and parts end up at the racetrack. The problem is that the only parts that are identifiable are the frame and engine. Forks, shocks, wheels, brakes, you name it can be swapped over to another bike and nobody will look twice at it.

Honestly, there's not much chance of ever having it recovered. If anything you'll get a call saying the frame was found in a ditch somewhere 100 miles away.

If you really want to remain vigilant about it, keep an eye on ebay for bodywork/street parts from sellers in the area. Also take a trip to Sears Point (aka Infineon) this spring and cruise through the pits. A lot of racers sell "their" street stuff for cheap during the race weekend.

I once had my 95 CBR600F3 stripped of its bodywork while my wife and I were in a movie theater. Every shred of bodywork was gone with the exception of the upper fairing/headlight/windscreen. The "repair" bill was well over $3000. I now have a 99 R1 that's kept in a garage.

ALWAYS make your bike a pain in the ass to take. If YOU hate unlocking your bike with the appropriate keys, imagine what a thief is thinking when they see your bike locked up like Fort Knox. Too many other careless owners/riders and not enough time, they'll usually move on to an easier target unless there's something about your bike that they KNOW is there and REALLY want it. When I was living in an apartment with only a carport, I put a leverlock on the clutch/handlebar, a Kryptonite U-lock through the swingarm and back wheel, a cable through the frame to the post on the carport, and cover with a padlock on it. I never use disclocks, too easy to forget and break something. It never got touched there. In the end, if they REALLY want it, they're going to take it. My buddy had his 98 R1 stolen 30 minutes after he parked it at work. Security cameras showed 3 guys in a boxvan pick it up and literally throw it in the van, no tie-downs or anything and drive away. Timed: 3 minutes.