Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

94 Passport Oil Leak

Old 01-24-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Passport Oil Leak

My stepdad owned my passport before I did and when he gave it to me he said it had an oil leak coming from the rear main seal. I have a collection of oil on the floor of my garage to prove there is a leak. He said it started leaking because he overfilled the oil when changing it. Can overfilling it cause a leak? Or is it just high mileage and worn seals(128,000 miles)? Have you guys ever used stop leak?
I usually go through an extra quart of oil before my next oil change, so its not real bad.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 PM
PassportEX

Not sure about the overfilling, but you can drain it out and pour in Castrol GTX High Mileage and see if its still leaking. Never used stop a leak, but I do know that Castrol GTX high mileage actually does work.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by PassportEX
Not sure about the overfilling, but you can drain it out and pour in Castrol GTX High Mileage and see if its still leaking. Never used stop a leak, but I do know that Castrol GTX high mileage actually does work.
I will give it a try my next oil change. Right now I'm using Pensoil high mileage, didn't do much.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

overfilling could cause high oil pressure which could roll seals. with that many miles though its not unusual for a leak to begin somewhere. a quart every 2-3000 miles isnt bad but leaking more than that and I would have it fixed. if you know its lekking the quart and not burning a quart every 2-3000 miles then you should be alright if it doesnt bother you.