Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

CR-V Paint Quality Disappointment

Old 10-18-2007, 06:32 PM
jeepdoctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CR-V Paint Quality Disappointment

We bought a new 2007 CR-V a week ago. Color is black. Last Saturday, my wife drove the car on a trip and picked up some bug splatters. Tonight (Thursday) I washed the car, paying particular attention to the bug splatters. We now have a dull spot where each splatter was. In addition, after washing the car by hand, the hood has faint scratches all over it. I am extremely disapponted. The paint appears to be soft, scratch-prone and not resistant to bug juice. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed. The hood looks like crap. I am looking for suggestions on what to do next. Complain to the dealer? Wax with 3M Performance Finish? Other?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Grifter

since its a week old id say talk to the dealer
Old 10-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

new car + clear bra = FTL
Old 10-20-2007, 03:31 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

I don't recommend hand-washing a car unless it's old and you don't care about the appearance that much, but that's just me. Keep in mind that darker colors will show scratches better.

However, it's not the first I've read of issues with paint on newer Hondas. Apparently they're using a new paint process for some, if not all, of their new models.
Just a guess, but maybe the newer cars need a longer period after they roll out of the factory before being power-washed or scrubbed :hsdunno:

Years ago you were supposed to wait a month before applying wax to a new car, to allow the paint to fully cure, dry, whatever. Maybe there's something similar going on now with Honda's more environmentally-friendly paint process.

Assuming it isn't just isolated issues due to the owners, maybe it's just taking Honda a while to work out the kinks - lot of assumptions... I'm just rambling.

Last edited by A-series; 10-20-2007 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:17 PM
AcuraFanatic

Those are most likely just stains on your bumper, you can probably get them off with a claybar or even using a cleaner wax.

Dark colors will show swirl marks easily. Rinse the car off throughly and make sure the sponge is clean when you wash the car.

Washing by hand is the BEST WAY to do the car, there's no substitute.

It's not going to look perfect, it's black. Wrong color to choose if you're extremely anal with paint appearance.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Chiovnidca
SOHC Powered

I thought hondas paint has been getting better. Been seeing fewer paint quality complaints the few years anyway. Maybe when they prepped the car they used some cheap wax?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
EleFit
All Honda all the time

When I bought my Fit last year, I looked at the new Civics, and noticed orange peel in the paint! I was totally surprised, expecting excellent finish work. Also, on my '04 Element, bird crap ate through the paint on the hood, THROUGH the paint in two places. I'd never seen that before and wondered about the quality of the paint.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:15 PM
kerpal

Originally Posted by A-series
I don't recommend hand-washing a car unless it's old and you don't care about the appearance that much, but that's just me. Keep in mind that darker colors will show scratches better.

However, it's not the first I've read of issues with paint on newer Hondas. Apparently they're using a new paint process for some, if not all, of their new models.
Just a guess, but maybe the newer cars need a longer period after they roll out of the factory before being power-washed truck part or scrubbed :hsdunno:

Years ago you were supposed to wait a month before applying wax to a new car, to allow the paint to fully cure, dry, whatever. Maybe there's something similar going on now with Honda's more environmentally-friendly paint process.

Assuming it isn't just isolated issues due to the owners, maybe it's just taking Honda a while to work out the kinks - lot of assumptions... I'm just rambling.
Hand washing is ok... I've been doing it for two years now... Looks okay to me..