Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

axles changed on 96 Odyssey

Old 06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
MadRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axles changed on 96 Odyssey

I changed my axles on my 96 Odyssey LX and all went great until I test drove it,now it rides like the front suspension is pumped up !?!I really need to fix this before Friday and cant stand to pay dealer prices..I have changed axles on my 88civic,91Integra and one on a PlymodgeEagle vision or something with that badge engineering and have always worked on my own cars and never have I had this happen.With the exception of a lincoln that you had to turn off the load level system.As far as I can see in the service manual I have(actual$100 Honda manual)there is nothing like that on my Odyssey.Any help to shed light on this would be apriciated greatly.This is my family hauler and it needs to drive 1200 miles in the next week..
sorry if this is not posted in the right forum.

Last edited by MadRabbit; 06-27-2005 at 01:10 PM. Reason: appoligies
Old 06-27-2005, 01:25 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh what exactlly is your definition of "pumped up" mean? All you had to do is take the axle nut off and the lower ball joint out and the axxle will slip through the fork. Did you remove anymore than that that would cause this problem? Are they aftermarket axels? Maybe they are just stiff.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:34 PM
MadRabbit

I followed instructions in my manual >remove wheel,axle nut,remove damper fork,pop ball joint loose,move loose assysmbly over(top was still attached just turned rotor out of way) and pull axle and replace with new honda part.What has me confused is the "pumped up" is like the front struts are riding very stiff and it rode fine before.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:08 PM
MadRabbit

In about 2 minutes I'm going to take this ody appart and see if I'm missing something simple.Pumped up ride like the air shocks with way too much air is how it rides.It doesnt have much give,maybe an inch and it rebounds back real hard...!?!just in the front...
Old 06-28-2005, 01:35 PM
honda guy

Make sure the fork is completely seated on the strut. I hate to say this but maybe one of the joints are binding up. If your get the urdge to pull the axles out again just make sure they move freely. move the joint to one extreme it sould be close to a 45 degree angle. Other than that im clueless.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:08 PM
MadRabbit

I redid everything joints are tight but not too stiff and the only other thing I can come up with is the left strutt must have overextended and seeing how it has 123Kon the odometer it might just have given up going back to normal.Both balljoint thightened up fine, clean surface around them.The damper fork was tightened with vehicle weight on it like the book says and all I can figure is a new pair of strutts wouldnt hurt.Does that sound logical?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:23 PM
honda guy

It might. I remeber that the inboard joints have two types of bearings in them One is round and the outers are square. The square ones have a flange on them but they can be put in the joint either way. The only thing that is effected by putting them in backwards is the moveability of the joint. It won't go to its full swing. But i guess it could be struts too.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:06 AM
MadRabbit

New struts did the trick,when they took them off the drivers side was a pain for the tech he said it was "in a bind or something.."so I feel allot better about my mechanicing skills.I glad I didnt do anything stupid.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:59 PM
honda guy

That cool. How you can sleep better at nite right.