Notices

98 RL Transmission Issues

Old 06-22-2005, 09:02 AM
jamsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 RL Transmission Issues

Overall, I really enjoy this vehicle. Great stereo, great ride and can perform much of the maintenance myself. The only issue I have encountered has to do with the transmission:

- I bought the car in 2002 with about 59K on it (Certified). As I understand it, the recall fix was already performed.

- In August 2003 (88K), I was at a stop, and after accelerating, the car shifted into 2nd gear, and the <BAM>, it sounded like I got hit. In actuality, the transmission completely disengaged from the drivetrain. I put the car in park, and it would drift backwards .. really bad problem. Took it to an Acura dealer, and it was replaced under the 100K powertrain warrantee.

- In August 2004 (110K), same scenario - at a stop .. accelerated ... <BAM>. EXACT same scenario in fact. Took it to the closest Acura dealership, and called the Customer Service dept. They agreed that a tranny should last longer than 22K and replaced the tranny.

- Last Friday, June 2005 (131K), at a stop ... <BAM> .. you get the idea. Acura is looking into the issue right now, and will "try" to help me out.

Has anyone else had this happen with a 98 RL?

To me, it sounds like they are fixing the symptom, rather than the problem. I love the car, but I have two kids and a wife and need this ride to be dependable. What might the problem realy be, beacuase replacing the tranny every 20K is neither the solution, nor cost effective for either me or Acura.

I welcome any feedback .. and could use the advice.

Thanks everyone,
jamsky

Last edited by jamsky; 06-23-2005 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Email Change
Old 06-23-2005, 04:43 AM
jamsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 RL Tranny: Follow-up

Here's what I learned:

- The current failure was due to a faulty "spindle" within the engine-to-transmission connection. This could have very-well been the cause of the previous failures.

- The prevous repairs were covered under a warrantee, and since I did not "participate" (i.e., pay), the parts/service did not carry a time/mileage warrantee.

They have offered to help with this fix, however I will have to contribute some cash this time. Because I'm paying, I get a 36 month / 36,000 mile warrantee on the parts / service. It could be argued that the spindle caused the prevous issues and that the service should be covered under the original 100,000 mile warrantee because it was never properly diagnosed and repaired. It can ALSO be argued that that the spindle caused this instance alone, and is 31,000 miles out of warrantee.

I'm OK with having to pay the amount, its not terribly bad - but its more than I have in my wallett too. In hindsight, I (A) Know which Acura dealership to trust (each service was done at a different facility); and (B) Am happy with the way Acura stood behind their products/services. I'll keep buying from them.

Hope this issue helps someone else down the road.