Notices

Need help right away, Please...

Old 02-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Legend1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help right away, Please...

hi, i am new members in this site, i am recent had problems with my acura legend 1991, the problem is after i start my engine, then i press the brake padle to shift, but its turn out that when i press the brake paddle, i can't move the shift, and it feel like my shifter is lock, then i took the key out, and put it in the shift release hole and shift it to neutral then start my car. i have been driving like this and doing this step for couple days, and found out that my rear brake lights is not on, i check the bulb and its seem that the bulb had no problems, and one day, i start my car, and its show in the gauges that the brakes lamp light is on, and from that, i can shift it normal.

(when my brakes lamp didn't show up, i can't shift to any gear when start my car but if the lamps show up when i start the car, i could shift the gear without puting the key in the release lock.) If anyone know what is going on with my car, Please show me some advice. i'll be glad to hear from you.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:40 AM
highstick

When you press the brake pedal in it activates a solinod that unlocks the shifter, usually you can here it activate with a little "click" at the shifter. Sounds to me like you may have a wiring problem or a bad brake switch at the pedal. Your taillight and shifter problems both activate off the brake pedal.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Legend1991

thanx for reply, so wat u saying is that i have to change the switch, can u tell me how much it costs for it. and by the way, i had check the pedal, i don't see any switch, can u tell me specific where the switch is located. thank you.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:00 PM
highstick

Hey legend.. sorry for not responding. was away awhile. Something to check first is the security of the brake switch they can loosen up. It would be at the brake pedal. If you didn't have the brakelight issue I would think about looking at the brake switch at the pedal and the solonoid at the shifter and its wiring. but since you do I would lean to just the switch and wiring. a way to troubleshoot is to find the solonoid and isolate it from all other wiring then apply 12v and ground to it and it should operate. if it dont, replace it. if it does check brake switch and wiring.