Notices

Engine swap

Old 09-24-2003, 10:10 PM
rpmman22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap

I have a 1991 acura intergra that has a worn out engine. I wanna swap the engine but im not sure want type of engine i should put in. I like the B16a1 because it is cheap but im not sure if a wanna loose the cubic inches. Any info will help.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Therin

go for the gold and get a b18c
Old 09-25-2003, 02:26 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Default Re: Engine swap

Originally posted by rpmman22
I have a 1991 acura intergra that has a worn out engine. I wanna swap the engine but im not sure want type of engine i should put in. I like the B16a1 because it is cheap but im not sure if a wanna loose the cubic inches. Any info will help.
Are smog checks for your state as exhaustive as mine in California? What's your ultimate goal for the car? Overall budget?

One avenue would be to rebuild your current B18A with Darton Sleeves, and in the process, going up to an even 2000cc's of displacement.
Then, depending on your smog legality issues, either boost the newly rebuilt/sleeved B18, or build a Frankenstein motor with a VTEC head off of the B-series model of your choice.

The B16 has only 111 lbft of torque, at a high 5900 rpm. Saddling that motor with 2600+ lbs of weight wouldn't be a good choice IMO. A stroker Frankenstein B18A would get somewhere in the range of 155 lbft at around 4200 or so, much better suited to a daily driver IMO. And a built, boosted B18A is really only limited by octane and intake charge cooling

My 2.5˘.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-25-2003, 04:26 PM
jeepxj66

If you live in california this is not an option. But a B20 is almost a simple bolt in and is truly cheap. I got my B20 for only $750. I spent another $200 for a good clutch(got a great deal) and bolted it in. In my case I needed the exhaust manifold from my B18a But I got the right intake on the B20 that fits our cars. Most B20's will need the B18 intake as well. A couple of simple wiring mods and now i'm drivin it around.

Car is much quicker and all the power is down low where it is used in daily driving.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:43 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Default Re: Re: Engine swap

Remember that the LS transmission is not going to be well-suited to the powerband of the B16. If you only want to replace the motor I would go with a B18A or B20. If you really want to upgrade the performance of the car then get a B18C and some kind of cable-clutch VTEC transmission.
Originally posted by NorCal DC4
The '92-'93 GSR with the B17 has essentially the same powerband as the B16 and I can speak from experience that it doesn't feel bogged down. Similarly the '99-'00 Si weighs about the same as the G2 teg and plenty of people seem to enjoy their Si's. The B16 also was the upgrade motor in Japan on the G2 teg. B16 in a teg is no problem.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:36 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
The '92-'93 GSR with the B17 has essentially the same powerband as the B16 and I can speak from experience that it doesn't feel bogged down.
Yeah, but if they didn't drop the compression ratio in the B17A, it would have sat squarely between the B16A and B18C. It already has 117ft-lbs, and the HP would have been more like 165-170 if they gave them B16A pistons.

Another thing that helps the G2 GS-R is the gearing. It has a huge gearing advantage over the RS/LS/GS and the B16A transaxles.
Originally posted by MrFatBooty
B16 in a teg is no problem.
But, it's not going to be "blazin' fast" either. Remember, the Japanese lower models where powered by a SOHC ZC, so of course a B16A is an upgrade from that.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:58 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Regardless of what the B17's output would have been with a higher CR, it is what it is. Driving a B17 car is hardly a different experience from a B16 one. Especially if they're close to stock.

The YS1 transmission that came mated to the B17 is effectively the same as the YS1 transmission that came mated to the B16 in Japan. The only B16 transmission that has crappy gearing is the one in the '88-'89 Civic/CR-X SiR.

Assuming one were to get a complete swap out of a '92-'93 Integra RSi/XSi then it would be essentially identical to having a G2 GSR. There are tons of people running around with B16s in their G2 Integras and they seem to like their motors just fine.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:01 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Very interesting and precient info, Mike. :thumbup:

Yes, you're definitely right about the importance of well matched gearing to the powerband. Honda places a lot of emphasis on this from the factory, so it's an important issue to address whenever a swap is considered.

My suggestions were based on the info I had at the time, taking into account the possibility of a rebuild. I just wanted to run the idea "up the flagpole", so to speak. :dunno:

It's all well and good. :bigok:
:cheers:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:18 PM
rpmman22

thanx fo the help everyone. I have some questions how much horsepower would i get if a rebuilt my engine with the darton sleeves and how much would that cost. How much additional horsepower would i get if i went to 2000cc of displacement.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:01 AM
Beachballer83

mmmmm.....F20. Sorry I was dreaming, thats almost an impossible swap