Notices

my car kinda hesitates during changing gears in my auto LS

Old 09-12-2003, 03:37 AM
motorX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car kinda hesitates during changing gears in my auto LS

i noticed when taking off sometimes fast, my car hesitates before it changes gear, i tried changin out spark plugs but that didnt fix the problem, and my car sometime has trouble starting off slow when i turn on the ignition, do you guys know what the problem is?
Old 09-12-2003, 11:05 AM
Taiwanze7

could be one of two things, the wrong tranny fluid (or fluid is dirty) or the engine is cold. If the engine is still cold (early in the morning) the transmission will lag a bit, and common among G3 teg owners.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:44 AM
GSuperR
High revving V8 FTW!!!

Make sure to stick with Honda ATF.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Co0lDood
[ATP]ATL

how long has it been since you changed your fuel filter?
Old 09-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Integra4life

How much mileage is on your car? It's quite possible your tranny is just going. My mx6 is like that and it's slowly dieing. That is a early warning sign. Could be something else though (hopefully).
Old 09-12-2003, 09:25 PM
maldini

Originally posted by GSuperR
Make sure to stick with Honda ATF.
What type of compounds are in Honda ATM that make it special?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:46 PM
SpeeDDemon69

Default Re: my car kinda hesitates during changing gears in my auto LS

Originally posted by motorX
i noticed when taking off sometimes fast, my car hesitates before it changes gear, i tried changin out spark plugs but that didnt fix the problem, and my car sometime has trouble starting off slow when i turn on the ignition, do you guys know what the problem is?
How long does it "lag" for? How many miles you got on the car? And if I were you I'd do a tranny service. That includes tranny filter and fluid change. I'd also put an external tranny cooler. That keeps it cool so it won't wear quicker. Hope it goes fine. Keep us updated.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:01 PM
timmy8151

Originally posted by maldini
What type of compounds are in Honda ATM that make it special?
I believe honda MTF has the additive z1 that's specially formulated for Honda/Acura trannies. You can buy honda ATF ($3/qt) or by the z1 additive to add to dexron III.

That includes tranny filter and fluid change. I'd also put an external tranny cooler. That keeps it cool so it won't wear quicker. Hope it goes fine. Keep us updated.
IIRC, honda transmissions don't have a filter that you can easily change, but instead a metal screen that catches large particulate matter. But, try changing the ATF to see if it smoothes the shifting.

There are 2 methods that you can use to change the fluid. The easier method is to just open the drain plug and refill w/~4 qts. The problem with this method is that you're on changing part of the fluid and not replacing the fluid in the torque converter.

If you want to change out all the fluid, you can either; 1) have a shop flush the transmission using a pumping system or 2) do a "triple" flush ( basically changing the ATF 3 times, while the car is running.)