Notices

crank case breathers

Old 07-15-2002, 09:57 AM
[HrZn]4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank case breathers

Hey everyone. I was doing some research on crank case breathers for our cars...what i've learned is that honda's run better with a closed pollution control system, rather than open; the articles that I found say that our cars need the vacuum of the closed system to rid the engine of carbon vapors. The small crank case breathers sold for our cars don't vent enough. I was just wondering if you guys know or heard the same...thanks for your opinions. Peace
Old 07-15-2002, 12:18 PM
StyleTEG
Make me an offer

You herd/researched correctly. If you want to do something about blowby vapors, get an oil catch can.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:43 PM
juiceweazel
Mobfather of all

then what about the vapors going into the intake?
i was under the impression that it is better to have clean air running thru the intake than dirty air from the case?
Old 07-15-2002, 12:59 PM
qtiger

Originally posted by juiceweazel
then what about the vapors going into the intake?
i was under the impression that it is better to have clean air running thru the intake than dirty air from the case?
A tiny bit of dirty air from the crankcase is far better than not keeping your crankcase properly vented.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:45 PM
Weston

What facts are there that prove that the little breather filters are bad? I know my intake tube has quite a bit of oil residue inside of it, all around where the breather hose connects. I also found some in the throttle body. Gunking up the intake air just doesn't seem good, imo.

So, is there any proof that crankcase breather filters are bad for Integra engines? Or is this a I-know-a-guy-who-knows-a-guy-who-heard-it's-bad kind of a thing?
Old 07-15-2002, 03:10 PM
[HrZn]4life

This is all researched...i've been in the import scene for about 6 years now and I've heard in the past and here and there from random people that breathers are bad for hondas. Just recently I decided to do some research to get hard evidence and came upon a few sites that provide adequate, factual information on why crankcase breathers are bad for hondas... i'll try to find them again and post them if you are interested.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:13 PM
[HrZn]4life

The basic idea is this: yes, it isn't good that we route our carbon vapors back into the intake....but the little k&N's do not provide vacuum suction to remove it from the head, and they do not vent enough. There are ways to efficiently vent but those small breathers don't get the job done...and when compared to the stock closed system, the stock is better because it provides vaccum; just clean your throttle body once in awhile...not too much trouble.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:23 PM
Outxider
X-Motoring

just get the greddy oil catch can system, catches all the oil residue while leaves the factory vacumn system intact.

late
Old 07-21-2002, 10:39 AM
juiceweazel
Mobfather of all

hey [hrzn]4life, yes if you can post some of the sites. i am really interested in this. sounds to me like a poor design on hondas part, but one of few.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:09 PM
qtiger

Originally posted by juiceweazel
sounds to me like a poor design on hondas part, but one of few
:doh:

Virtually every engine has a crankcase breather system.

It is routed back into your engine because it is technically emissions.

Quick Reply: crank case breathers