Notices

Clutch Out?

Old 09-02-2003, 09:31 PM
MS_Integra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Out?

I was driving down the road, going to work, when I pressed my clutch to the floor to place the car in second. I felt it press all the way, further than normal. I kept accelerating and didn't realize something was terribly wrong till I pressed the clutch down to shift to third and the clutch wouldn't let me shift, it was stuck in gear. I pulled over and stopped and managed to get the car to neutral. It shifts normally when the car is off, but once starting it, it cannot be put into gear. Putting it into first and starting it allows it to move forward, but it kills it when the clutch is released, even with gas. It moves as if the clutch is released partially when its depressed, aka the car moves when you keep the clutch down and let go of the brake. Giving it gas during this has no affect at all.

I think that the clutch master cylinder may be out or the clutch, but I seriously think the master or slave cylinder may be out. Any advice at all would be helpful.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Daniel

Check the clutch master cylinder resevoir for fluid levels. Check the area where you park your car at work and at home for fresh fluid leakage. If your resevoir is down, try filling it up to max level with DOT 3 spec brake fluid. Start your car and attempt to drive it in a neighborhood street or open parking lot. If this works, you'll need to replace the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. www.importautosalvage.com sells these for cheaper than new (they are used products) and installing/bleeding clutch line should take no more than 30 minutes.

If it's not the clutch master cylinder, you may be looking at throwout bearing or clutch problems, both of which require transmission removal. You should consult a trusted mechanic at that point.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:02 PM
MS_Integra

where is the fluid resovoir? I just got it and don't know anything about it.

MS_integra
Old 09-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Clutch fluid resevoir... upper right-hand corner of the engine bay... the smaller of the two resevoirs...

The big one that's connected to the round disc is the brake fluid resevoir, BTW
Old 09-03-2003, 07:57 PM
MS_Integra

I appreciate all the help, and its in the shop now. Unfortunatly, they think its the clutch but he's gonna check it. Luckily its a friend of mine and a very good mechanic. The hydrolic fluid didn't work which sucks, even after flushing the lines. Oh well looks like I'm not gonna be modding my car for awhile.....