Notices

Help a newbie decide if GSR is right for him

Old 06-30-2003, 09:51 PM
JimmysZ32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a newbie decide if GSR is right for him

Heya,

as my username implies, im a guy who drives a nissan 300zx (z32 is the chassis code) ...

Currently, im in the position to sell my Z cos its a maintainence pit (these things cost lots and lots of $$$$$ to maintain) and i get a whopping 16 mpg. w00t! ...and let me tell you, 16 mpg is not cool at all when im attempting to to drive at least 45 miles per day between work and school.

I've always loved the Integras, especially the GSR and TypeR. A guy i know owns a GSR, and gave me a ride in it once, and i was very impressed.

Heres a few questions.

1.) Im looking for a 94-95 GSR. all are 5 speed, so thats good. Im looking for the coupe, and it will preferrably have 80,000- 120,000 miles on it. Will 7-9K get me a GSR in that range?

2.) Just exactly how reliable are Acura's cars? Ive heard that since they are Honda's luxury line, they hardly ever go bad. since February of this year when i bought my 300zx, i've dropped over 4000 in repairs into the car...should i expect the same for the GSR? I hope not.

3.) Any major problems i should look for? How long does the b16a motor go for anyways? have people used them till they broke? how many miles is that?

Im just concerned about reliability and gas mileage. I want a quick daily driver, and maybe something that will pull mid to high 14's with some bolt-ons

Thanks!
Jimmy
Old 06-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Default Re: Help a newbie decide if GSR is right for him

1.) Im looking for a 94-95 GSR. all are 5 speed, so thats good. Im looking for the coupe, and it will preferrably have 80,000- 120,000 miles on it. Will 7-9K get me a GSR in that range?
this is defintely possible. i've seen tegs with that kinda mileage going for around those figures.

2.) Just exactly how reliable are Acura's cars? Ive heard that since they are Honda's luxury line, they hardly ever go bad. since February of this year when i bought my 300zx, i've dropped over 4000 in repairs into the car...should i expect the same for the GSR? I hope not.
as long as you do your scheduled maintanence and dont abuse the hell outta the thing, it'll treat you good.

3.) Any major problems i should look for? How long does the b16a motor go for anyways? have people used them till they broke? how many miles is that?
the gsr has the b18c1, not the smaller b16a.

Im just concerned about reliability and gas mileage. I want a quick daily driver, and maybe something that will pull mid to high 14's with some bolt-ons
14's is possible with bolt ons. my brother hit a 14.9 in his 96 gsr with just an exhaust and drag radials.

Thanks!
Jimmy
your welcome
Old 06-30-2003, 10:01 PM
Co0lDood
[ATP]ATL

You looked into the right car! GSR's is a fun car and you'll love it..

1.) pretty sure you can find one around that price.. i got my LS at 85k for 4gs.. haha

2.) Some good tuneing when buying a used car will help also.. timeing belt near 90k.. water pumps.. fuel filter.. oil.. etc.. They are very reliable.. Ive seen them over 150k+

3.) Some defects in teggies.. hatch leak.. i just got my car not too long ago too.. you can always use the search button.. there are many experienced people with teggies on this board.. welcome
Old 06-30-2003, 10:06 PM
JimmysZ32

Whoa, you guys are quick to respond.

My bad on mis-printing the engine codes. duh, i knew that the b16 is found in the civic si and the likes, really i did

So with about 8 grand, what kind of GSR can i expect to find? a beat up old one? decent? also, what types of GSRs do people get for 9 grand?
Old 06-30-2003, 11:34 PM
Psychosis
Meber

be patient and you can find a very nice teg in that price range.

don't forget to carfax it

try to find one that hasn't been modded or owned by a 17 yr old who thinks he's in the fast and the retarded, and you'll be quite happy with it
Old 07-01-2003, 12:10 AM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

For $8k you can find a decent GS-R. I'm guessing somewhere between 1994 and 1996. It also depends on the miles. I've seen some 94s with as low as 90k.

GS-Rs are right for anyone who appreciates them
Old 07-01-2003, 06:06 AM
BonzoAPD

A GSR sounds like the car for you. You can get a good one in that price range. Look around and you will get a good find. :thumbup:
Old 07-01-2003, 03:05 PM
JimmysZ32

heya guys..

I went to the Acura dealer today, and they had a 2000 Acura Integra GSR. I took a test drive, and loved it. Very luxurious. Shifted so smoothly, and it felt like it had a good bit of power. Too bad it was a 2000 model GSR with like, 50,000 miles...Was listed at 15,900

The salesman was pretty helpful too, as he knew a fair bit about Acura's cars. Said they lasted very long, and for anyone who loved them and took care of them, the car would do the same in return.

Well, I think I may put my Z up for sale tonight, pending i can get some monetary issues together.

Another question...

are there any good intakes for the Teg that are under 180 bucks? Seems kinda steep..our Z intakes are like 90 bucks.

also, what are some good ECU's? Hondata or Skunk?
Old 07-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

1. I got my 94 GS-R with 122K miles for $7000

2. I haven't had anything go bad that shouldn't have. I replaced the clutch, radiator, catalytic converter, plus some gaskets. That's it (Or, at least parts that were replaced out of necessity, not luxury).

3. As Snoopy corrected, B18C1. Anyways, after replacing the cam plug and oil pump gasket, my car consumes literally no oil. Engine's still strong and no abnormal noises exist.
~~~

Are you looking for a Short Ram or a Cold Air Intake? I was able to get my AEM SRI for $85, and there's ghetto eBay intakes for like $30 bucks.

Also, I've heard lots and lots of good things about Hondata's engine management systems.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:39 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

Default Re: Help a newbie decide if GSR is right for him

$9K will get you a decently low-mileaged 94-95 GSR for sure! Just keep shopping around

Well, my 94 LS has 153K on it. The ONLY mechanical failure I've had was the clutch @ 114K miles :exnbp: And trust me, I'm not babying this thing either!

There aren't any major problems I know of to look for. Just make sure the timing belt and water pump have been replaced if necessary (90K miles). The Honda radiator has a tendency to crack on the top - a cheap metal radiator is a great fix.

GSR's get great gas mileage for a 170hp motor! ~27mpg! Some GSR drivers I know can get 32mph - I don't know how they do it.

The correct bolt-ons when used in a system (ie intake/header/cat/exhaust) would yield some good power output. I'm not promising 14's but I know several GSR owners who hit 14.9 with just intake and exhaust!

Good luck! And I hope you join our Integra family. Stop by www.team-integra.net to find more specific background, information, articles, etc.

-Lawrence