Notices

torque problem

Old 06-30-2003, 07:20 PM
nicomachus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque problem

I've been hearing a rattling-like noise coming from somewhere under the car for the last week. The car has been driving fine, though, until this morning. When I drove to work, I could tell I was losing torque -- no torquey acceleration from a start or while rolling, trouble climbing hills, etc. And, the rattling is getting louder. Later, when I drove home, I wasn't sure I was going to make it back because of some hills.

I get home, put the car up on jack stands, and crank it. I hear the rattling coming from somewhere in the exhaust (sounds like that to me). Actually, it sounds like it is coming from inside the cat converter.

Another oddity, maybe just coincidence... I've been getting great gas mileage this past week.

Could this rattling have anything to do with the loss of torque? I checked (by touch) all the exhaust connections, and they seem tight.

I also thought it might be a drive axle... they both checked out alright. Also thought the clutch might be slipping, but I don't smell any burning clutch, and that just doesn't sound like what it is to me.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

if the rattling is coming from your cat it could be going bad. how many miles do you have on it?
Old 06-30-2003, 07:27 PM
nicomachus

Default miles

181K miles on the car
Old 06-30-2003, 08:44 PM
twin3037

i have the same ratling problem mechanic says it's common on the integras and that it's thge a pipe with a heat shielf around it and the welds coem apart and the pipes rattle the guys says it doens't affect the car but that any hsop can fix it for like 40 bucks as for the loss in power and so forth not sure bout that check your oil mine does that on low oil also check clutch fluid
Old 07-01-2003, 06:00 AM
90'RS

The fact that you lost torque and your getting this noise from the exhaust it's the cat going bad. That rattling noise you hear is the honeycomb that has broken apart inside and is restricting the flow of exhaust. This can cause unrepairable power loss to the engine if left unfixed. I would change the cat asap. I recently had a similar problem with my car but I also got a horrible smell from the exhaust at times. I didn't have the money to change the cat so I just hollowed it for a temp. solution.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:26 AM
nicomachus

Default torque advice

twin... i took the heat shields off long ago... this can't be the problem

90'RS... thanks. your diagnosis makes sense to me... the sounds are consistent with what you're describing. i'll take off the cat converter and see what i can see.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:29 PM
nicomachus

is a cat converter something that i should buy only from Honda? or is an Advance/Auto Zone cat converter just as good?
Old 07-01-2003, 02:03 PM
90'RS

If I were you I would go aftermarket because they aren't to much more expensive, if not cheaper in some cases, and you get much more performance out of it for when or if you get an exhaust put on.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:19 PM
nicomachus

by aftermarket do you mean high-flow/performance? i mean, a CAT from advance is aftermarket, is it not?
Old 07-01-2003, 05:53 PM
90'RS

you are right but I meant high performance/high flow. I should have been a little more clear on that. I really do think that would be your best bet.
For a fellow 2g teg owner have you checked out g2ic.com because they are more focused on our generation.