Thread: torque problem
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 07:20 PM
nicomachus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque problem

I've been hearing a rattling-like noise coming from somewhere under the car for the last week. The car has been driving fine, though, until this morning. When I drove to work, I could tell I was losing torque -- no torquey acceleration from a start or while rolling, trouble climbing hills, etc. And, the rattling is getting louder. Later, when I drove home, I wasn't sure I was going to make it back because of some hills.

I get home, put the car up on jack stands, and crank it. I hear the rattling coming from somewhere in the exhaust (sounds like that to me). Actually, it sounds like it is coming from inside the cat converter.

Another oddity, maybe just coincidence... I've been getting great gas mileage this past week.

Could this rattling have anything to do with the loss of torque? I checked (by touch) all the exhaust connections, and they seem tight.

I also thought it might be a drive axle... they both checked out alright. Also thought the clutch might be slipping, but I don't smell any burning clutch, and that just doesn't sound like what it is to me.

Any thoughts?