Notices

Integra Sitting Lower In The Rear

Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
mdb20
Marky Mark B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not the original owner of the vehicle, but it's a previous one owner, fully documented, Acura dealer serviced vehicle and I've had it for the last 85,000 miles and 5 1/2 years. The springs weren't cut when I purchased it or since the date of purchase. Obviously, the springs control the ride height of the vehicle as well as absorb the shock from bumps and in turn get controlled by the shocks. What's weird is that the vehicle was squatting in the rear before and after I did the lowering kit install on the vehicle. I'm pretty sure that it didn't squat in the rear when I first purchased it.

Like I mentioned before, I've seen several other 94-97 stock Teg's with the same squatting issue in the rear. I was thinking that the OE spring/shock combo was to blame or was worn out causing the issue in the rear until the new rear setup did the same thing. Is there anything else in the rear suspension that would have an affect on ride height besides the springs that would explain this?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

I have a 95GSR 4 door and my suspension has been modified. I have never had this squatting problem you are talking about. My current set up is eibach sportline springs and KYB 4-way adjustable struts.

Have you thought about taking it somewhere to have it looked over?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Spec R

eibach pro kits have always done this. its an equal drop for both the front and rear, its just more noticable now because thats how it is from the factory. Rx7s, subarus, and 240sx's all have the same issue. you have to buy springs or coilovers to make the gaps even front to rear because from the factory the rear sits lower than the front. its usually a body design, not suspension travel.

lets say on your integra both front and rear have 8 inches of available suspension travel bone stock, but the wheel gap between the top of your front tire and fender is is 4 inches and the rear is 3 inches. lets say a spring manucfacturer decides lets lower the front and rear 2 inches. theres still 6 inches of travel, but now the front gap is 2 inches and the rear is 1 inch. its not as noticable at stock ride height but as soon as you start lowering it become much more obvious.

when i still had my first integra i remember mixing and matching different springs to even out the fender gaps. i had coilover sleeves at one point, but didnt like the extra noise and ride quality for my long commute. i eventually got neuspeed race springs for the front and ITR spec HR sports in the rear on Koni Yellow shocks, with the front set on the bottom perch and the rear set to the top.

Last edited by Spec R; 09-08-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
mdb20
Marky Mark B.

Originally Posted by Spec R
eibach pro kits have always done this. its an equal drop for both the front and rear, its just more noticable now because thats how it is from the factory. Rx7s, subarus, and 240sx's all have the same issue. you have to buy springs or coilovers to make the gaps even front to rear because from the factory the rear sits lower than the front. its usually a body design, not suspension travel.

lets say on your integra both front and rear have 8 inches of available suspension travel bone stock, but the wheel gap between the top of your front tire and fender is is 4 inches and the rear is 3 inches. lets say a spring manucfacturer decides lets lower the front and rear 2 inches. theres still 6 inches of travel, but now the front gap is 2 inches and the rear is 1 inch. its not as noticable at stock ride height but as soon as you start lowering it become much more obvious.

when i still had my first integra i remember mixing and matching different springs to even out the fender gaps. i had coilover sleeves at one point, but didnt like the extra noise and ride quality for my long commute. i eventually got neuspeed race springs for the front and ITR spec HR sports in the rear on Koni Yellow shocks, with the front set on the bottom perch and the rear set to the top.
This is the information that I was looking for and this is also what I was thinking was the problem. It still doesn't explain the rubbery "squeak" that's present in the rear of the vehicle, but at this point I say F*ck it! It's not that terribly big of a deal. When I've lowered cars in the past, they always seemed to have a similar wheel gap. I guess the cars sit level though and I could put a level on the Integra to see how it is front to back regardless of what the fender gap looks like. My whole reason for looking into this was that I run a higher profile tire in the winter (Blizzak) in a 185/70R-14 fitment which is a fair bit taller than my 205/50R-15 Spring-Fall tires that I run. I was thinking that the tires were going to end up rubbing on the fender wells. I test fit the rear tires a couple weeks ago and they seem like they will work fine though which is good.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Khazzy
The know nothing kid.

Here are the photos I promised months ago. Just got everything taken care of last week. My car doesn't squat really.

Before

After

Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 PM
CorkieB06

PLEASE find the cause to this problem!
I realize this post was from last year but I feel we still have hope!

My Story: 99 LS - Eibach Sport line kit. After fighting with the seized up bushings in the control arms, it sits about an inch or more lower in the rear. Everything on rear suspension was replaced (with purple ). I tried to double bushing the rear on the strut mount, to see if it would make a difference and it didn't do enough. I did have issues with a really stiff rear end, and it make squeaking noise, the bolts on the control arms ended up being too tight. Something my 110lb frame has NEVER accomplished before (<3 my Craftsman elec impact). Don't know if that's the same noise you are having, but loosening them seemed to fix mine. I've contemplated swapping the front to rear just for shits and giggles but I may just be finding some coil overs and giving up on Eibach. I lowered my GT stang and there isnt a bit of difference between the front or rear. I also don't understand how from factory they would make the rear sit slightly lower, i've always noticed the front lower, because the motor weighs more then the spare tire.... if anyone has found anything...Please enlighten me .. THANKS
Old 07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
KurtsJDM

mine does the same. it sets way low in the rear end and sits way high in the front. but it's still stock suspension..
Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 AM
RaceRx7

Oh my goodness,... it's so bothersome when people post on these forums without really contributing to the solution!...

Mdb20, CorkieB06, and KurtsJDM,... don't listen to any of the previous posters who simply look for the simplest "band-aid" solution and NOT a true cure for the real problem behind your cars "stance" problem!...

First off,... the reason you tend to notice this type of problem, more so, with the 94-97 models, and not so much with the 98-01 models (but, believe me... I've seen it in all years)... it's because the 94-97 models are OLDER than the 98-01 models!... Meaning, they've been around, on the roads and in the elements, for more years!... Hence, they've suffered more wear and tear, neglect and abuse!...

But, the problem does not lie with the Eibach springs and dampers you've selected!... Sure, you can get Koni's or any of the other adjustable shocks that are out there, and set them at a higher setting to compensate for the lower rear end!... But, is that truly the cure to your "stance" problem, or is it simply a "band-aid" solution?...

Hm.... Just some food for thought!...

I own a modded '94 Integra, with the Eibach Sportline-plus system (Sportline springs, Pro dampers, and Eibach front and rear sway bars) installed, and I love it!...
When I initially purchased the system... I was ecstatic!... I couldn't wait to put it on my car!...
I used to have the Ground Control/Tokico set-up on my car,... but I got tired of all the noise that comes with the sleeves set-up!... It was so annoying!... So, first chance I got... I tore down my suspension and threw on the Eibach set-up!...
And, guess what?... Lo and behold,... MOTHER...! >(

Yep, you got it!... The rear end was lower than the front!... Aghhhh!!!

But, what went wrong?... It wasn't the first time that I'd installed springs, shocks, struts, or whatever!... And, I followed all the directions... including, the highly neglected, pre-loading of the suspension!... So, what could possibly be wrong?... :/

So, there I went,... systematically replacing ALL the bushings on my control arms, including the shock mount bushings!... But, at the end of the day... the rear end was still lower than the front!...
So, what's wrong?... It couldn't possibly be my NEW springs and dampers,... could it?... :/
I certainly hoped not!... I spent good money on those things!...

Sooo frustrating, right?...

OK,... one more look under the car!...

OMG,... my trailing arm bushings were practically disintegrated!...
So,... one more project for the following weekend!... :/

The following weekend I replaced the trailing arm bushings (what a pain), and... WooHoo!!!...
Problem solved!...

Now, my car sits the way it should sit,... the same way that Khazzy's car sits, with just a hint of positive (front) rake!...
Only, my car sits a bit lower than Khazzy's!... I have the Sportlines on my car NOT the Pro's!...

Hope this helps!...

BTW,... good looking car Khazzy!... The pictures really helped!...