Notices

"Shifting noise in my LS"

Old 07-01-2002, 12:03 PM
eclipse spanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Shifting noise in my LS"

Whenever I change gears in my 92 LS, I here a small "clink" sound somewhere in the tranny..............It sounds like something moves just a little bit everytime the shifter is moved, and then when I start driving in that gear, I hear that little "clinking " noise again....anyone ever had this happen ? Wht could it be ?
Old 07-01-2002, 01:57 PM
StyleTEG
Make me an offer

Have you checked your fluid level? When was the last time it was changed?
Old 07-02-2002, 06:19 AM
eclipse spanker

NO I havent....how often do you have to check that ?
Old 07-02-2002, 07:06 AM
slickboy
ECHC junkee

Originally posted by eclipse spanker
NO I havent....how often do you have to check that ?
How hard do you drive? Just go and get 2 quarts of Honda MTF and drain the old fluid out and fill it up with some good clean Honda MTF. Your tranny will love you for it.:thumbup:
Old 07-02-2002, 07:26 AM
eclipse spanker

Where do I drain the old fluid out of ?
Old 07-02-2002, 07:47 AM
slickboy
ECHC junkee

Here how you change your manual tranmission fluid in a 2nd gen. Integra:

First you'll 3 quarts(sorry for the mis-information above) of Honda MTF - don't cheap out and buy the pep boys brand...you'll regret it later. Also, it would probably help to have some sort of hand pump device or turkey baster of something like that to put the new fluid in because you can't just pour it in.

Jack up you car so that at least the 2 front wheels are level so that you'll get a proper reading on the tranny fluid when you refill it.

Remove the drain bolt. It will be located on the lower passenger side of the tranmission...it will be obvious. It have a sqaure hole in it, not a hex head like the oil drain bolt has. It will take a 3/8" drive ratchet to remove the bolt.

Give it a few minutes and let it drain. Put the plug back in. MAKE SURE NOT TO CROSS-THREAD IT or you will be kicking yourself in the butt for a while. If you have a torque wrench, tighten the transmisison drain bolt to 29 ft. lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench, make sure that it's tight, but don't overdo it.

Next, you'll want to remove the transmission oil filler bolt, which is a few inches above and back from the drain bolt. Use the hand pump, or whatever device you have to put the new fluid in. It will take a while so be patient. This is where it is important that both sides of the front of your car are level. Add the MTF until it starts to run out of the filler hole. It should hold about 2 quarts, give or take a little.

Put the filler bolt back in, once again making sure that you don't cross-thread the bolt. If you have a torque wrench, tighten the drain bolt to 33 ft. lbs. If you don't have one, once again, just make sure that it's tight but DON't overdo it.

That's it, put your car back on the ground and go for a drive. Hope this helps ya. I think when I changed the tranny fluid in my 91 teg, it took about 30 mins for the whole thing. But I made sure to let the transmission drain as much as it could to try to get all of the old fluid out of there. If you ahve any problems with it, you can PM on here, or IM me on AIM at slckshus, or email me at slickboy_59@hotmail.com. Have fun and hope this helps you!
Old 07-02-2002, 08:39 AM
eclipse spanker

Ok man, thank alot for the info....I'm gonna try and do it this weekend !