Notices

changing your own oil

Old 04-28-2003, 04:15 PM
aero3685

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by antarius
In all likelyhood you can get Wal-Mart to change your oil for just as cheap as you doing it yourself, but that's not the question at hand.
Yeah, may be around as cheap, but are you gonna really trust those stupid asses. My friend w/a 91 stang 5.0 got her oil changed there, and they didnt put the nut back in tight enough...3 days later, bye bye engine.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Tinker Bell
mexikin who?

if you guys really want to get most of the oil out, just poor some new oil into the engine while its drainng!! when you see the new oil draining out it means that you have less burnt oil in there!!:fawk:
Old 04-29-2003, 12:03 AM
gsr2k

Originally posted by aero3685
Yeah, may be around as cheap, but are you gonna really trust those stupid asses. My friend w/a 91 stang 5.0 got her oil changed there, and they didnt put the nut back in tight enough...3 days later, bye bye engine.
That bolt must have bene super loose to lose an engine in 3 days. Whether you change your own oil someone else does, check it to make sure it's not leaking and you didn't forget the washer or something.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:17 AM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

i do
Old 04-29-2003, 07:12 AM
b00gers

i do it like many lazier people do it.

jack car up
undo the bolt
let it drain
rotate my tires while it is draining
put back bolt
take filter out
put filter on
fill up again

Old 04-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Evilteg

Originally posted by ghettoviet
do what i does... just drive it up the curve.. 2 side wheels on curve.. 2 side wheel off curves.. no jack nessary.. and it's safer.. and if you cant findd the plug for your oil you shouldn't change your oil. sounds like you never change oil before.. (you gotta get down and dirty...)
the curb isnt a good idea, you probably still have oil in there from 4 changes ago, not getting it?? see your oil will go into the corners of the opposite end of the pan from where the car is jacked. maybe you two should go to the jiffy.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:40 PM
alnen

I left the damn washer out when I did mine. When I unscrewed the plug, it fell down into the oil collector, and I forgot to look for the washer! I screwed it on there pretty good (not overly), and havent seen any leaks yet.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:36 PM
gsr2k

Originally posted by Evilteg
the curb isnt a good idea, you probably still have oil in there from 4 changes ago, not getting it?? see your oil will go into the corners of the opposite end of the pan from where the car is jacked. maybe you two should go to the jiffy.
This has got to be fairly nominal. But if you are worried about it, drain it while it'sl level, drive it on the curb to get to the filter. Fill it while it's level. I give him some credit for using the curb - that's pretty nifty!

Originally posted by alnen
I left the damn washer out when I did mine. When I unscrewed the plug, it fell down into the oil collector, and I forgot to look for the washer! I screwed it on there pretty good (not overly), and havent seen any leaks yet.
I did this last time I changed my oil and the damn thing leaked a bunch. I just hand-tightened it, though. Had to change the oil within a week of it's last oil change...
Old 04-30-2003, 05:46 AM
alnen

Ouch, that would kill me since I use synthetic! I havent noticed any leaking, but I'll keep my eyes open!
Old 04-30-2003, 07:02 AM
Spec R

Get a torque wrench guys! 33 ft/lbs for the drain bolt.

And for the curb guys, what about if someone up the street turns on their sprinklers or is washing their car etc. All the runoff goes straight to you. I wouldnt want that stuff comin towards me, and either way, the other post is right, you're not draining all the oil.

To rid my engine of most of the old oil, i usually "donate" half a qt of new oil to the drainage pan. I can see the new oil come out within a few minutes.

Another 5-10 dollars can get you a magnetic drain plug at your local auto parts store. i forgot the size, but its a 14mm hex, with 12x1.5 thread i believe. its cool to see the little metallic film layer collect on the magnet, because i know its not in the oil, doing damage to the rest of the engine.