Notices

changing your own oil

Old 04-30-2003, 02:53 PM
gsr2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Spec R
Get a torque wrench guys! 33 ft/lbs for the drain bolt.
I can certainly get 33ft/lbs out of my forearms...

And for the curb guys, what about if someone up the street turns on their sprinklers or is washing their car etc. All the runoff goes straight to you.
Well, yeah - don't be a moron when you do it. Nobody was talking about laying in a stream to change your oil.

the other post is right, you're not draining all the oil.
We all agree here, but most of us are overchanging our oil anyway, so it shouldn't make a huge difference. If a curb is the only way you have to do it, I wouldn't lose sleep over not geting all of the oil out of the pan. If you're that worried about it, change the oil more often.

Another 5-10 dollars can get you a magnetic drain plug at your local auto parts store. i forgot the size, but its a 14mm hex, with 12x1.5 thread i believe. its cool to see the little metallic film layer collect on the magnet, because i know its not in the oil, doing damage to the rest of the engine.
This magnetic drain plug can't be doing anything more than giving you a false sense of security. The flow rate and volume of the oil versus the area of that drain plug is doing nothing to clean the engine. Sure, you pulled out a few pieces of metal, but I doubt that it's making any diference in the overall cleanliness of your oil.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:30 AM
Spec R

I recommended the torque wrench, only because no one wants a stripped drain bolt, or have a drain bolt to fall out like that mustang in the other post.

The curb oil change, even though it may be ideal in other neighborhoods, wouldnt be practical in my street, because my street is on an incline.

If u dont wanna drain all your oil, thats fine. You're right it doesnt make a big difference.

My magnetic drain bolt was just a suggestion, and i wasnt looking down upon anyone who doesnt have one. It is by no means offering a "sense of security", its just an added preventative maintenance measure that isnt too expensive. Spoon and other companies make magnetic drain plugs as well.
O yeah, i didnt pull out a few "pieces" of metal. It was a layer of metallic film, that would otherwise be flowing with the rest of the oil. You tell me, would u want metallic particles flowing around you engine, degrading your piston ring seal, bearing surfaces, crank journals, and other various engine parts? like i said earlier, its just a suggestion of an added maintenance measure.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:15 PM
rustybody

i just reach under and drain it level, its not hard to reach. jack it up a bit to get to the filter
Old 05-25-2003, 04:19 AM
Louse76
Team Teg Project Car

Easy as hell... I'd explain but someone probably did above (didn't feel like reading).

Instead I'll post this pic:

Old 05-25-2003, 09:28 AM
ambition
StillDPG

Originally posted by antarius
In all likelyhood you can get Wal-Mart to change your oil for just as cheap as you doing it yourself, but that's not the question at hand.
^probly but do you trust the slack jawed yokals that work in TLE at wal-mart?
Old 05-25-2003, 11:27 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

my quickest oil change was 14 minutes

i love changing it myself (using the jack-up, drain method). Gives me time to bond with the car.