Notices

1997 Acura Integra LS HELP!!! please:(

Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 PM
ferny_dx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Acura Integra LS HELP!!! please:(

MY Problem

My problem is that I am getting the "Check Engine" light and the "Maintenance Required" light is also on, I plugged in my OBD2 reader but it wont read it, i believe that my OBD2 scanner is compatible with my car, it is an Equus 3140 Innova,
The Info
It idles a little bit rough and some times it sounds like it wants to choke out when rev it from idle,<----I FIXED THE IDLING AND CHOKING OUT PROBLEMS BY TURNING OFF THE TUNER DONT KNOW WHY IT DID IT

It is a 1997 Acura Integra LS with a B18B1 engine, I just recently bought it at a local impound that I work at every now and then, but it looks like someone changed the head and placed a VTEC in it instead,

they also switched the original ECU with a Type R P73 ECU to support the VTEC option I guess,

Also they stuck in a Jet Perf. VForce model 67001 (i had to wire this properly later, the moron didn't even use proper connectors, he just taped the wires together and they were falling apart and disconnected when i got is) <---- I REMOVED THIS LATER TO FIX THE IDLING PROBLEM, I DONT KNOW WHY BUT IT WOULD EVEN TURN OFF THE CAR UNTIL THE MIL TURNED ON

It used to have another remote of some kind that was stolen from it, I know this because I had seen it a few days before(I was working at the time so i couldn't get a good look at it), but when i came back, it was gone just the connections were there, so I don't even know what it really was, I know it was connected to the ECU, some connections were inline and others were spliced, but i decided to get rid of them and wire it back to stock.<---I RECHECKED ALL THE WIRES AND THIS TURNED OUT TO BE A VTEC CONTROLLER, A VOLTAGE METER AND AN MPG CALCULATOR AS WELL,

also the VTEC pressure switch was connected to the KS - Knock Sensor pin on the D plug instead of the VTM - VTEC Pressure Switch pin on the C plug.<--I PLUGGED THIS INTO THE VTM PLUG AND THE VTEC WORKS GREAT IT KICKS IN SOMEWHERE AROUND 5400 RPM

ALSO IT DOES NOT have a Catalytic converter,

and im not sure where the oxygen sensors are located.
<---I FOUND THEM, THE FIRST O2 SENSOR IS PLUGGED INTO THE EXHAUST AND THE SECOND ONE IS TAPED TO THE CHASSIS AND THEY ARE BOTH CONNECTED, THERE WAS NO HOLE FOR THE SECOND ONE AS THE EXHAUST IS MODIFIED FOR NO CATALYTIC CONVERTER AND MOVED THE PRIMARY O2 SENSOR TO THE BACK WHERE THE SECONDARY WOULD BE

Last edited by ferny_dx; 10-26-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 10-23-2010, 09:25 AM
cruzalekz

try another scanner, people here say autozone will scan it for free so try that...

if their scanner does not talk to your car,, then you have a wiring problem to the obd connector.

if both your scanners does not even power up when connected, check pin 16 of the obd2 connector for 12v.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 AM
ferny_dx

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
try another scanner, people here say autozone will scan it for free so try that...

if their scanner does not talk to your car,, then you have a wiring problem to the obd connector.

if both your scanners does not even power up when connected, check pin 16 of the obd2 connector for 12v.
i went to autozone to try to get it scanned there, but they said they don't do that anymore.

anyways, when i plug in mine, it does turn on and tries to communicate, but it doesn't find the right type, it just seatches, ie. CAN, ISO, and such
Old 10-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Spec R

its probably some kind of OBD1 ecu. how do you know its an ITR P73?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:15 PM
ferny_dx

Originally Posted by Spec R
its probably some kind of OBD1 ecu. how do you know its an ITR P73?
Well for one, the harness is the original without any adapters, and the ECU has a sticker that actually says that is is a P73 with a few numbers before and after
Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Spec R

hmm i dont know.

i remember when i first got the current subaru i have now, i went to scan an OBD code and got nothing from my scanner. i was like wtf how does that that happen. turns out i actually had two OBD2 plugs in my car. its not an issue anymore since i put in a different harness, but it sounds like you're dealing with a pretty big mess of a harness or whats left of it (just like i was).
Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 PM
ferny_dx

Originally Posted by Spec R
hmm i dont know.

i remember when i first got the current subaru i have now, i went to scan an OBD code and got nothing from my scanner. i was like wtf how does that that happen. turns out i actually had two OBD2 plugs in my car. its not an issue anymore since i put in a different harness, but it sounds like you're dealing with a pretty big mess of a harness or whats left of it (just like i was).
I don't think I have 2 OBD2 plugs in my car, i have the repair manual and it only points out that one in the center column.

i don't know if this is true but I have a friend that tells me that the ECUs made for the Type-R in those years (as it is a JDM ECU) was made with an obd0,

In other words, it is not compatible with any reader from what i understand.

my ECU number is, if i remember right, 37820-P73-003
Old 10-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Spec R

oh yeah then theres your answer.

when i said theres 2 obd plugs in my car, it wasnt like that from the factory. it was because i had a hacked harness setup that left an unused obd plug still in the car.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
ferny_dx

but the things is that the cable that goes to the computer from the OBD2 plug is actually connected
Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 AM
ferny_dx

I got rid of the Maintenance Required light!! it was a button a little to the right of the center on the bottom of the steering column