Notices

Engine Swap Questions

Old 09-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Marty1Mc
Gearhead Dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap Questions

Hi, first post. I am swapping a running engine from a beat 90 RS into a much better condition 91 GS with a blown motor, for my son. I got the GS for almost nothing and everything works, except the motor. So, my intention is to pull the RS motor, replace timing belt, water pump, tensioner, seals, adjust the valves. Then install a new clutch, mate it to one of the transmissions, and re-install the unit in the GS.

I searched around, read the FSM on pulling the engine. I can see the general consensus is to pull both the engine and tranny as a unit. But, there are a few things that don't make sense that are in the FSM procedure.

1). Pull the distributor and alternator before pulling the motor.

2). No mention of pulling the driveshafts, do they remain in place? If so, do they simply pop out of the transmission or can they be pulled out when the motor is lifted? It shows torque specs for the ball joint, so it implies they are pulled.

3). Removal of power lines from the fuse box. It appears the entire power harness is removed.

I appreciate any responses. I am no amateur at this, just want to confirm a few things before I jump in.

Thanks in advance.