Notices

Antenna replacement: JDM carbon fiber?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:44 AM
verb1999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna replacement: JDM carbon fiber?

I forgot to push down my OEM power antenna mast in the car wash and it broke. So I'm looking for a good replacement. I take that back, just a simple replacement. I listen to the radio almost never, maybe if there is a sporting event going on that I want to listen to, otherwise I'm all iPod. I can't deal with the commercials.

Has anybody had any experience with this cheap JDM carbon fiber antenna? I figure typically you get what you pay for, so is this cheap garbage, and/or are they just cheesy in general? If anybody knows or has an opinion I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-JDM...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 PM
ReaperOne

It states in the auction (Please check if your antenna is screw type before purchasing the item. Cars with motor type base antenna might need modification in order to install this antenna) So if you have a power antenna maybe not. . . I bought this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER...Q5fAccessories and it works great, but I learned in the past that you don't need the fully extended antenna to get reception. Replaced mine, because I wanted a working power antenna. . . I read a couple more auctions and it doesn't look like this one will be good for a replacement for an integra power antenna. . . This one may be a better fit though: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ANTEN...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 AM
verb1999

Yeah, I didn't read fully through that auction description...good call. And that other auction you posted also looks like a pretty good idea. I've also read up on some "Shark II", and a Honda S2000, both very similar antennas, but also require modification upon installation.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 AM
ReaperOne

I saw those as well, but for what you are looking for, the other 1 posted should do the trick and it also looks the easiest to install. . . All you have to do it remove the stock power antenna, place that one in the whole and plug it into the antenna extension cord. . . no power, so don't have to worry about the connecting the power source. . .

The S2000 is a screw on. . .

The shark fin also states: Shark Fin Antenna for car decoration purpose - not a genuine antenna (No radio function).
Besides that it will go on top of the car and the integra antenna sits on the back side, so the shark would have to be re-routed to the roof as well as actually be a working antenna, which it is not. . .
Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Marty1Mc
Gearhead Dad

I have an inexpensive flexible antenna I bought at Advance Auto Parts. I think I paid around $10 for it. I have had it on my old Celica for 5 yrs and it works great. It's black and is about 12" long. Just a thought...