Notices

My 2000 GSR Setup

Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
2000geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2000 GSR Setup

so for those who has been reading my posts and replying, thank you very much. I put together this build...and will be done by the end of this week as i'm still collecting a few minor parts to finish this setup.

2000 gsr w/ 180k miles...motor burning oil, blown gasket..... $4000
New (possibly rebuilt) b18c5 bottom block (p73 pistons)....$600
95 GSR Head w/ valve job, oem springs and retainers....$220 + my original head.
(No difference between 95 and 00, correct??)
USDM ITR CAMSHAFTS...$180

Everything else will be my original gsr part such as IM, selenoid, dist., etc.

QUESTIONS:
1. Can i run the 96 ITR Camshafts with gsr cam gears and gsr (new) timing belt?
2. Will i need to switch into ITR ecu?
3. Please comment on this new build, and if this is a good build for long lasting daily driving.

THanks!!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:45 PM
ReaperOne

1. Can i run the 96 ITR Camshafts with gsr cam gears and gsr (new) timing belt?
You should be able to as the ITR and GSR timing belts are the same, don't think the GSR gears will fit the ITR shafts, but I could be wrong. . .

2. Will i need to switch into ITR ecu?
Hard to say, but I think yeah. . . because you have the ITR block and and ecu will be looking for certain specs that are in that block that the GSR ecu wont be looking for. . . I would think if you got it tuned, you may be able to get away with it, but may run better if you swapt to ITR ecu. . .
Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

i think you need to do a lot more research then what you have. That set up at best is very incomplete, u will have to run engine mangament due to the higher compression pistions and cams, however u will not be albe to run an itr ecu becasue you will be using your gsr mainfold which is a two stage mainfold where the ITR is single Stage. There is much much more, but i would say RESEARCH if you have to ask if a GSR cam gear will work on an ITR camshaft you are far from ready to start building a motor.

best of luck!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 PM
2000geezer

Default So do ITR camshafts fit gsr cam gears?

I'm not an engine builder. if I was, i would have rebuilt my original motor and saved myself from paying close to 800 in labor (got rid of my bottom block for 500 basically).

I am too busy to spend any time doing the actual work myself as i need this car every day. However, i did do a lot of research and i've come across this combination of parts that i could not refuse to let go... it was money well spent and no one warned me about anything bad...

So if i change to itr intake manifold and itr ecu, will i be able to run a safe and reliable itr motor? I'm not looking for max power, or even genuine type R performance. just want a strong and reliable motor that i can have fun once in a while, that will spank a stock gsr.

My car doesn't and probably will not even have an intake.

turbodc... you seem to know a lot about integras... can you enlighten?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 AM
1turbodc2
got boost?

Well even if you are doing the work yourself or not you want to know what you are doing, if you don't you will not have a reliable and safe DD. just some words to the wise... but on to your questions:

Well an ITR intake mainfold will not fit a gsr head, so you would have to go with SKunk2/blox (basically a copy of the itr but flows better) I would suggest getting an obd1 ecu having it chipped and using crome/neptune/hondata and have it tunned specifilly for the parts you have and the motor you are having built. When choosing engine management you want to find the best tunner possible and see what engine management he is most comfortable tunning for and get that. You can have all the parts in the world but with out proper tunning/fuel/engine management your car will never A. be reliable, B. never run to its full potential.. which brings me back to my point you need to do more research and if you are too busy to deal with it leave your car stock. just my 2 cents though...

you can see my old teg here https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/i...r-the-teg.html

Last edited by 1turbodc2; 09-09-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 PM
2000geezer

Well my ultimate plan was to buy a gsr and drive it stock... After finding out my motor was burning oil, need new gasket and etc... i looked into every possible way from ls, b20, jdm gsr, rebuild, type R... Type R was way too expensive it wasn't even really what i was looking into. until i came across this new type R block...even the shop guys had to check it out twice to believe what they were seeing... it's so cheap,kind of too cheap to still believe it's legit, but i'm no judge to decide what's behind it...right? reusing my gsr resurfaced head... came up on some type R cams (why not right?) and my mechanic still tells me i don't have to worry about it....

The mechanic says to just dyno it and is about 150... how much to tune and install a obd1 harness with a chip?
is chipping the obd2 really not possible? If i just get a ITR IM replica, can i just safely run the itr ecu without chipping it?