Notices

going into the spring (oil)

Old 03-01-2003, 08:11 PM
kfar09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going into the spring (oil)

i searched but didn't come up with much.

since its coming into spring time, what oil should i use for my GSR? 5w-30 or 10w-30. and an oil filter is an oil filter right? no difference in them. oh and i have 92K if that makes a dif on synthetic or non-synthetic. and could someone explain what it does (being synthetic or non-synthetic) i know these are stupid questions i j/ need some help
Old 03-01-2003, 10:49 PM
tilt

Uhm... read up.

Basically it boils down to is do you care for your car?

If you dont care what happens to the engine, use dino oil and cheap stuff and just change it regularly. It should be fine.

If you want to baby your car use synthetic oil and use quality filters, yes they do make a difference. Quality ones will filter out smaller particles. Synthetic oil has a higher flash point. It has a lower tendency to build up sludge. Plus, oil changes lasts 2-3x longer.

people debate all over 5w30 vs 10w30. My take is 5w is just easier on the engine for cold starts, less wear. when the oil is heated they are the same from my understanding.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:06 AM
reno96teg

Originally posted by tilt
If you dont care what happens to the engine, use dino oil and cheap stuff and just change it regularly. It should be fine.
just because one uses dino oil does not mean they don't care what happens to the engine.. :slap:

if one is using dino oil, they just have to make sure they keep on top of the oil changes; and if they do, their engine should last just as long as one that always ran synthetic.

however, there are some people who are wary of synthetic. over at honda-tech you'll find some ITR owners who've fried their rings, and they're convinced that it was because of the synthetic.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:15 AM
tilt

i didnt mean all dino oil is bad, i was trying to emphasize cheap oil and those that dont care about their cars should use it. I wasnt trying to insinuate that all people that use dino dont care for their cars. That obviously isnt true, so sorry if it sounded like that. It's just economical imo (I use mobil 1 for my beater crx, and mobil synthetic for my integra). I also said it should be fine, as in it shouldnt run into any problems, given that you change it regularly. I just think of synthetic as added insurance. If you look at tests, on paper synthetic outperforms dino in a lot of areas... and that should translate to better results in real world applications too.

As for synthetic having adverse affects on the engine, that's a first for me. What were they running and under what conditions?

Originally posted by reno96teg
just because one uses dino oil does not mean they don't care what happens to the engine.. :slap:

if one is using dino oil, they just have to make sure they keep on top of the oil changes; and if they do, their engine should last just as long as one that always ran synthetic.

however, there are some people who are wary of synthetic. over at honda-tech you'll find some ITR owners who've fried their rings, and they're convinced that it was because of the synthetic.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:12 PM
reno96teg

Originally posted by tilt
As for synthetic having adverse affects on the engine, that's a first for me. What were they running and under what conditions?
i'm not even sure.. i'm a bit skeptical of their thoughts that the synthetic did cause them problems, but i'm just putting it out there people do feel that way.

imo as well, synthetic is much superior, but if one keeps on top of the oil changes with dino, it's just as effective.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:18 AM
mrhonda_187

I'm using Mobil 1 SS 5W-30 now, and my 4th choice oil filter - Napa Gold (Wix) 51344 (oversized). Yes, 4th choice, as I can't find Mobil 1, STP or Bosch in Canada.

Do a search, read a lot... this'll get you started:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.html
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...nt=;DaysPrune=
http://theoildrop.server101.com/
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml
Old 03-03-2003, 11:21 AM
dantastic
cx power!

i use 10w30 mobil 1... it doesnt get cold here, so i'd rather run a thicker oil