Notices

'88 Teg Project car

Old 01-28-2003, 09:37 AM
paymepunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 Teg Project car

My new little toy has some problems

I recently bought an '88 teg for a ridiculous price so i decided i would do some restoring. The engine was rebuilt 2 ys back and all hoses replaced. I am however experiencing some noises which i believe ton be my pressure plate on my clutch. When you turn it in you do not have to depress the clutch to turn it over, and in idle with the clutch out it make a slight scrapping and rattle noise which seems very loud. I believe the noise comes from the universal to the tranny. the noise disappears when i press the clutch however begins again once i begin to move. and precedes to make loud noises in the first three gears but once in 4-5th it drives beautifully. if anyone thinks this may be a problem other than the clutch give me some ideas. also i have been informed from the seller that the right axle needs replaced and i am aware that you must remove this in order to change the clutch. I also need to replace the carpeting in the vehicle due to mold so i was wondering if anyone knew about cheap alternative to getting it done. IE hardware store carpet and heat guns or something. Please let me kno whenever someone has an idea and i will hopefully have pictures up soon.

Thanks for any help talk to me on AIM = Paymepunk

Paymepunk
Old 01-29-2003, 09:07 AM
[hC]

you know what, im REALLY interested to find out what it is, because i have a very similar problem on my 97 GS-R - and ive had my clutch replaced and flywheel resurfaced, and the noise is still there.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:32 AM
paymepunk

i ended up dropping out the tranny and running about three quarts of oil(this '88 take oil not tranny fluid) through it and then took a magnet and ran it throughout the open tranny and transfer case. You would not believe the amount of filings that came out of it. Now all the noise is gone and it runs well except that i am having some stall problems. This is due to the computer i removed and put badck in when i removed the interior. I think i need to reset the ecu but i dont have a manual to see which fuses to pull.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:04 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

You only need to pull one fuse. It should be in the underhood fuse box and it's marked "BACK UP."

Before you pull it, get all the accessories (radio, HVAC, etc) turned off. Turn off the car.

Pull the fuse for 15 seconds then put it back in.

Start the car up and let it run without touching anything until the temp guage comes to normal operating temp. You need to do this last step so the ECU gets a chance to "learn" the startup readings.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:56 AM
paymepunk

one problem.....'88 has no underhood back-up fuse... in fact no under hood fuses visible at all. I Was sold the car with the diagram for the fuse box missinf, if anyone could get me a pic, or drawing of what each fuse is for i would greatly appreciate it. I have4 been searching for many days

Fuse box under console on drivers side
Old 02-12-2003, 09:36 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Hmm. See I'm used to my '92 which does have an underood fuse box.

If you can't find the fuse you're looking for, the task can be accomplished just as well by pulling one of the terminals off the battery.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:27 AM
paymepunk

thnx , i thought the same, but i was not sure if the comp had and internal memory. I'm gonna yank the power and see what happens.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:57 AM
paymepunk

got it running..yeeahhh new ecu and 02 sensor did it. and guess what i own a 91 gs now yyeeahhhh.. can't wait to play with it.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Jokieman31

did you find out where the filings came from? just curious.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:45 AM
paymepunk

the only thing that i can figure is that the filinings came from the person before me driving the car with the transmission void of any oil. Yep the filings are a ersult of the car's gears dry grinding...ehhhh. but she runs great now but i have been forced to sell her. anyone in the houston area interested??? i got one that would like to buy it for $800 but if you can come up with $900 its yours. check out my car in my profile under the same name at teamintegra.net. i have soem pics and the car listed in the sale section