Notices

Window Tinting Question

Old 01-13-2003, 12:03 PM
dan_k24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tinting Question

I want to tint my windows, but I don't want it to look like crap. What is the best kind to get and how much $?
If anybody wants to put pics of theirs that would be cool.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:33 AM
gsr2k

Make sure it's the black tint (charcoal, I believe) and not the purple stuff. Make sure it's done by a reputable shop that'll fix it if they screw up. My shop had me bring the car back to them a few days later to get some of the bubbles out after the tint has set. (This is pretty standard)

Consider what you're going to do over the dots (search for this topic)

Make sure you wont need to roll the windows down for about 5 days.

See if you can find a place that will warrenty it against fading so that you can get it replaced in a few years

Um...other that that, I can't think of anything.

Good luck
Old 01-14-2003, 11:02 AM
dan_k24

Thanks gsr2k. Thats sounds like that will help.

I'm mainly doing this to protect my leather, so are all good tints UV protectant?

Any idea on price range?
Old 01-14-2003, 11:44 AM
gsr2k

I think I paid $170.00 for the 4 windows and the hatch - tint was charcoal at 35% (our legal limit). This was just outside DC and installed 2 years ago, so I don't know what it would cost now.

The glass is tinted green to protect against UVA damage. I don't know how well it works, but I'm sure that adding a tint would help somewhat. With that slight facotry tint, you may be over the legal limit if you try to install tint *at* the limit like I did. If you get busted for this, I'd be impressed.

Good luck
Old 01-14-2003, 06:32 PM
dan_k24

Thanks man. that'll help a lot.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:00 AM
integra_blurred
Objects in mirror are loo

Hey man, you're in my area, so I'll help ya out...I got mine done by Lightning Mikes. They're based out of charlotte, so it'd be good for you. They do pretty good quality work, and have a warantee, but the guy didn't even bother covering my dots. Also I don't think they do illegal tint and i am kicking my self now for getting the legal 35%, should have gone slightly illeagal with the 20%, it looks better. There's a really good shop in Hickory that my friend got his 20% at and he gave him a "warrenty" but not really, 'cause it's illegal but he told him if he ever had any problems that to come back and he'd redo it. Really nice guy, but Lightning Mikes is good if you want legal, which is 35% in NC. Tell 'em to try to cover the dots tho.