Notices

Underbody paint (subframe)...

Old 03-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Lynxs1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! Lowered without adequate reinforcement?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Spec R

Originally Posted by Lynxs1981
negative, that tearout is caused by excessive forces from upgraded rear sway bars.

theres not much that can be done to prevent that - yes, even with the "reinforcement" kits that are out there.

people will say the comptech or ASR bars are of much better design (which they are) but even then, in extreme situations (road course) problems can still arise due to the subframe sheetmetal being so thin.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Lynxs1981

Did not know this. I never had problems with mine after the upgrade. I purchased a set of sleeves that allows it to bolt through to both sides of the frame, much stronger.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 PM
jethrocreek
CRX NOOB

Default paint

I personally always liked the rubberized undercoating if show isn't a concern. It protects great and lowers road noise, but can be a bit on the ugly side.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Lynxs1981

Yes, it's very durable. Harder to be scratched/chipped of compared to paint.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:48 PM
A-dub5513

Originally Posted by Spec R
negative, that tearout is caused by excessive forces from upgraded rear sway bars.
This happened waaay back (like 5 or 6 yrs. ago) without the ASR...so, technically, you're both right.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:06 PM
A-dub5513

Originally Posted by jethrocreek
I personally always liked the rubberized undercoating if show isn't a concern. It protects great and lowers road noise, but can be a bit on the ugly side.
Yes, it's very durable. Harder to be scratched/chipped of compared to paint.
That may be true, but I'd prefer the repair's finished state to look like it never happened. So since the subframe is only painted, my only concern is durability and color match.

Besides, wouldn't all that rubberry texture compromise a clean, flat mounting surface? Also, wouldn't the coating squish and tear a bit once the corners of th ASR mounting brackets gets torqued down, exposing the metal anyway?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
jethrocreek
CRX NOOB

Originally Posted by A-dub5513
That may be true, but I'd prefer the repair's finished state to look like it never happened. So since the subframe is only painted, my only concern is durability and color match.

Besides, wouldn't all that rubberry texture compromise a clean, flat mounting surface? Also, wouldn't the coating squish and tear a bit once the corners of th ASR mounting brackets gets torqued down, exposing the metal anyway?
You actually have the same issue with standard paint. ANYWHERE that metal rubs metal or rubber, the paint will get worn off and or "squished" out. The Rubberized Undercoating Is simply a superior product for the job at hand I have seen vehicles lose almost 40% of the roadnoise simple by completely uncercoating a vehicle. However as I stated before, if you are going to be showing the vehicle or you just want it to look stock this isn't the stuff for you. But if you can stomach the uglyness of the paint you will find you are MUCH happier with the overall job.