Notices

why do stainless lines help

Old 12-16-2002, 05:26 PM
pomansouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do stainless lines help

why do stainless brake lines help so much. I always see people tell others to get some stainless steel brake lines. It's almost like the people who say or stress this to others think that a braking system is not complete with out ss lines.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:44 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

I don't have them but I think people get them because they supposedly flex less under pressure and therefore give a more solid brake feel. I dunno :dunno:
Old 12-16-2002, 07:44 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally posted by g2tegls
I don't have them but I think people get them because they supposedly flex less under pressure and therefore give a more solid brake feel. I dunno :dunno:
:werd: thats what i've heard too
Old 12-16-2002, 08:13 PM
XSrcing

after time, the stock rubber break lines begin to weaken and get soft. when you hit the brakes, they expand, giving the pedal a mushy feel. this is exaggerated when things get hot after spirited driving.

SS brake lines do not expand. in turn you get a solid pedal feel and better modulation of the brakes.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:36 PM
qtiger

Think about pressurising a rubber hose. It flexes outward when you apply pressure. Energy is lost in flexing the hose, energy which could have been exerted on the brake piston.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:07 PM
b00gers

"They resist flexing better than OEM rubber lines do, so they'll deflect less when under pressure. This improves overall pedal feel. Sometimes OEM rubber lines can cause your brake pedal to feel a bit soft or mushy if they're deflecting, and stainless lines will remedy this. They're not absolutely necessary, and the improvement in braking performance may not be that pronouced. Overall, I would think of stainless lines as one of the last brake system mods to do. Definitely get the pads first. Keep in mind that since stainless lines are more rigid, they won't be as flexible as the OEM rubber lines, which means if they're going thru a lot of suspension travel, like if you drive on VERY bumpy roads a lot(and the suspension is constantly compressing and rebounding its full stroke) the stainless lines may be more prone to failure. This is pretty rare, but there are isolated incidents of stainless lines failing when driven under these harsh conditions because they don't have the flexibility to sustain that kind of abuse. Under normal street/track duty, they should be fine. You probably wouldn't want to go rally-racing or off-roading with them, though"

quoted from chris.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:40 PM
thx247

pedal response.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:26 PM
pomansouth

thanx lots for the response