Notices

B18b

Old 12-03-2002, 05:27 AM
RacinSkittle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18b

I am contemplating getting a B18B over a B18C b/c of the lower compression. I am going to boost and I heard thta the B18B handles boost much better on stock internals than B18C. Can anyone attest to this or better yet set me straight Thanks
Old 12-03-2002, 06:25 AM
XSrcing

well, yeah, if your going to try and run 12 psi without tuning i say get the b18b so you will have wasted less when you blow it.

get the b18c1. get the turbo put on. have hondata put in. then have it dyno tuned. you will have a car that is just as reliable as one with the b18b, but with more power.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:35 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

You may be able to boost higher with the b18b but higher boost doesn't necessarily mean more power. Compare 6 psi on the B18C1 and 9 psi on the b18b, and see what happens.

Shingo
Old 12-03-2002, 06:39 AM
XSrcing

yes. i have a friend with an LS and another friend with a gs-r. both have rev-hard turbo kits. the kid in the LS is running 8psi and the guy in the gs-r is running 7psi(with a leaking wastegate). the LS puts 230hp to the wheels and the gs-r puts 255.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:31 PM
RacinSkittle

Alright that answers my question. Thanks. Good 12psi w/o tuning i said i was going to do that? hmmm i dont see it anywhere. ACTUALLY it doesn't even seem like I was implying it either. so lay off

Otherwise thanks for the help.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:33 PM
RacinSkittle

Doesn't the lower compression help though? That's what I was wondering. B/c when you're turbo charging you try to get a low a compression ratio as possible. So answer that.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:33 PM
RacinSkittle

Thanks for the help shingblade.

What's your problem X?
Old 12-03-2002, 01:12 PM
XSrcing

Originally posted by RacinSkittle
Thanks for the help shingblade.

What's your problem X?
dude chill, i'm not an ass, i'm just stuck in schoolh:. actually, you would want to run the highest compression possible. higher compression will create more power, but it is more prone to detonation. if you only plan to run 6-8 psi the 10:1 compression isn't going to hurt you. but if you get hondata and have your air fuel maps tuned you could run 12 psi safely on a stock b18c1, and you would make awesome power.

so, the only reason you would want lower compression is if you were going to run insane amounts of boost, or you dont want to have to deal with tuning.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:13 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Originally posted by RacinSkittle
Doesn't the lower compression help though? That's what I was wondering. B/c when you're turbo charging you try to get a low a compression ratio as possible. So answer that.
Yes lower compression helps and you can run more boost. But in this case, more boost on a b18b doesn't necessarily mean it'll make more power than a turbochaged b18c1 running a few lbs less. I'm going to sound like a big ricer here but having vtec makes quite a big difference here. The gsr cams work pretty well
with boost.

*edit* Read X's comment about compression

Shingo
Old 12-03-2002, 01:35 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

A lower compression ratio just means that your motor will be less likely to detonate (a.k.a. knock or ping). More boost means more knock.

However, you need much less boost on a GSR motor than an LS motor to make the same power. Less boost means less knock.

So you either take a low CR motor and boost it a lot, or a high CR motor and boost it less.