Notices

Harmonic balancer trouble

Old 12-20-2007, 05:59 PM
timcapo300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer trouble

I have a 91 integra b18 1a, manual trans. I cant get my harmonic balancer bolt off to save my life. Long torque bars and impact wrenches failed the job. Is this bolt backwards threaded? How much torque should it take to remove it? Thanks for reading.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:19 PM
2001TEGGSR

It is not reverse threaded. The bolt is torqued somewhere near 130 foot pounds. The best way to remove it is with an impact, if you don't have air tools a shop will usually buzz it off for you and tighten it just enough to get you home.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

You don't need this but it will make things ALOT easier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Astro...spagenameZWDVW

There are quite a few kinds out there, keeps your crank from moving. Once you have it locked in, you should be able to break it free. I used my DeWalt impact gun, took a few hits but within about 10-15 seconds the bolt broke free. Was the best $30 i spent.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:36 PM
MC-14
Tri-man

This is pretty ghetto......attempt at your own will!!!!! When I was working at the shop we had a couple persuations to get that bolt off. You can place a breaker bar with the 17mm or 19 mm, whichever the bolt size (don't remember. Crank the engine but only in pulses. The breaker bar will hit the frame or lca, and may or maynot break the bolt loose. It had worked a couple times in my mechanic days, but I suggest getting the right tools. Preferrably a chainlink breaker bar that works as anti rotation for the main pulley, which you can use a breaker bar to get the bolt loose. Good luck!