Notices

F'n cooling problems won't stop!!!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
92GTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F'n cooling problems won't stop!!!!!

Please try and help me guys, otherwise I'm going to blow this POS up, lol!

Here is the background on it. I buy a 1990 Integra GS that was sitting for 2 years. Upon inspection I find that the dude had it sitting the whole time with 100% water in the cooling system, lol. However the radiator cap was loose and I was really lucky it didn't loose a freeze plug.

Anyway, first couple of days I notice the car gets a little past the middle, it got 2/3 in a drive through one day. Of course at this point I had bought a new radiator cap and flushed the system before making a nice 50/50 mix. My first thought is the thermostat. I buy an Autozone thermostat and install it. Now the car gets REALLY hot! I run the car with no cap on and I see no flow in the radiator. So I pull the thermostat and install a CarQuest one. Car still runs almost as hot but now under throttle I see coolant movement. I notice at this point my fans only come on with the A/C.

A day or so later I pull into my driveway and my shit is WAY hot, I pop the hood and discover that the fans aren't on even when I push the A/C button now! WTF! So I replace both sensors in the side of the head. Problem still occurs. I'm sold a giant "Radiator fan temp switch" however I can't figure where it goes as I can't find one on the radiator anywhere. So I wire up both fans manually to a toggle switch so I can get to work. They are set up so they PULL the air through the radiator and towards the engine, I believe this is correct. That way when driving they aren't fighting the air coming at them.

The car still over heats like a bitch! I notice that when it gets hot all I have to do is rev the engine to about 4,000 RPM and it drops right back down. Hmmmm. I'm thinking it must have a restriction in the old ass radiator that is only overcome by pressure from the water pump when the engine is at high RPM. So today I replace the radiator with a brand new one. While swapping it I notice there is no "Radiator fan temp switch", so Autozone ripped me off, not the first time, lol.

SAME F'N PROBLEM! Yeah it runs a little cooler but it still over heats. Now it will get to 2/3's and drop right back down to a tad below half before getting to 2/3s and dropping again, RPM simply helps accelerate this drop process but atleast the car doesn't get near the red now. Sounds like a simply have a retarded thermostat. What thermostat are your guys running in these things? The ones I got from Autozone and Carquest were both 193 degree and 2 stage. I want the hot one for gas mileage, I could give a crap about stupid performance, I have a real car for that.

I'm about ready to flush the system and run freakin CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust remover) through this bitch! I know it will eat my hoses but hell, if it gets this crap out of the cooling passages in the block, new hoses are worth it! Plus my fans still don't work!!!!!!

So my questions, lol. What the hell is causing my fans not to come on? I checked ALL my fuses and the relays appear to be ok but Autozone doesn't show that these cars have a fan relay??? Has anyone else used CLR to clear a screwed up old engine to solve a cooling problem? Thanks!

EDIT: Oh yeah, even with both fans wired on with a toggle it still overheats! The fans don't seem to have ANY effect hardly at all on this tiny engine but I still want them working.

Last edited by 92GTA; 02-25-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:11 PM
doobiexx928xx
B18 Bullet

You should replace the hoses and get some new fans or hook them up directly..... Also check the fans spin freely...
Old 02-26-2007, 03:03 AM
m735is

First you need to find out why it's overheating. Are you in a cold climate where the water only could have frozen and cracked the head or block? If not, then yes I would flush the system with radiator cleaner (never heard of someone using the CLR, but that doesn't mean you can't). Maybe there is build up in some of the smaller passages or smaller hoses?? If cold climate, then are you loosing any coolant?
Is all of the air out of the system?
How old is the water pump?
Timing correct?
Maybe try running it without a thermostat and see if it runs cooler, then put in another one, I would use the standard temp one also. Screw the gas mileage, how much would it save anyway (especially if you blow the motor)?

Then when you get it running at the right temp, start diagnosing the fan operation.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:06 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

you said your getting no visible coolant flow when you looked in the cap? and you replaced the thermostat?

id be checking that water pump out. also sounds like the coolant temp switch might be out if your fans arent kicking on when they are supposed to.

why not take this to a qualified mechanic instead of trying to diagnose the problem by throwing part after part into it
Old 02-26-2007, 05:44 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Sounds like you have an issue with circulation. The water pump could in fact be the problem too. If that thing is caked up w/crap from sitting then it is definitely going to have issues w/fluid passage. As far as the thermostat is concerned, I am sure most of us here run OEM, cause the thermo is one of those parts like a PCV valve, it's best to run OEM or it might whistle at you. For the switch? Hmmm, I would say check the fan relay under the hood before installing any auxillary switches. This is usually the main culprit. Good luck!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:46 AM
fjm1
G35

Does the interior heater work?

If not, or it takes a long time flush the system a few times.

If so, my next guess would be the water pump. I would still probably flush the coolant system a few times anyways before doing the water pump.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Topend
scooted

Originally Posted by rebeld
you said your getting no visible coolant flow when you looked in the cap? and you replaced the thermostat?

id be checking that water pump out. also sounds like the coolant temp switch might be out if your fans arent kicking on when they are supposed to.

why not take this to a qualified mechanic instead of trying to diagnose the problem by throwing part after part into it
nice thought
Old 02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
92GTA

So nobody can tell me where the coolant temp switch is on these cars? I guess I'll go buy a manual then which I didn't plan on since I'm not planning on keeping it long. Anyone? throw me a bone and atleast give me a clue?!

I'm going to run the CLR through it and try another thermostat.

The water pump is something I thought of right away until I found out what a bitch it was to change, I had even bought one but returned it. I'm hoping anything on it the CLR will catch. The temp seems to be staying around the middle now, even at idle. It still goes up, then down, then up, then down. That's gotta go.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:06 AM
2001TEGGSR

The sensors you replaced in the head are seperate from the fan system. One is used for the ECU (ECT - Electronic Coolant Temp.) and the other is for the Temp Gauge in your cluster.

The fan switch is located near the Thermostat housing, where the lower/rear radiator hose connects. The Fan Relay is also a possibility.

If a thorough flush didn't help with the cooling problem, I would bet on the water pump as others said.

Before you spend any more money, is there any coolant in the oil? Or did you notice oil in the coolant you drained out?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:36 AM
92GTA

Can you tell me where the fan relay is?

I'll look for the fan switch and replace that since I already have the part. Of course there was nothing in the oil or coolant, I would have noticed that. I also knew what the head sensors are for as I have replaced them already.

If the flush doesn't fix the problem, I'm just going to sell the car. It's not worth the trouble swapping the water pump...

Thanks!