View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
92GTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F'n cooling problems won't stop!!!!!

Please try and help me guys, otherwise I'm going to blow this POS up, lol!

Here is the background on it. I buy a 1990 Integra GS that was sitting for 2 years. Upon inspection I find that the dude had it sitting the whole time with 100% water in the cooling system, lol. However the radiator cap was loose and I was really lucky it didn't loose a freeze plug.

Anyway, first couple of days I notice the car gets a little past the middle, it got 2/3 in a drive through one day. Of course at this point I had bought a new radiator cap and flushed the system before making a nice 50/50 mix. My first thought is the thermostat. I buy an Autozone thermostat and install it. Now the car gets REALLY hot! I run the car with no cap on and I see no flow in the radiator. So I pull the thermostat and install a CarQuest one. Car still runs almost as hot but now under throttle I see coolant movement. I notice at this point my fans only come on with the A/C.

A day or so later I pull into my driveway and my shit is WAY hot, I pop the hood and discover that the fans aren't on even when I push the A/C button now! WTF! So I replace both sensors in the side of the head. Problem still occurs. I'm sold a giant "Radiator fan temp switch" however I can't figure where it goes as I can't find one on the radiator anywhere. So I wire up both fans manually to a toggle switch so I can get to work. They are set up so they PULL the air through the radiator and towards the engine, I believe this is correct. That way when driving they aren't fighting the air coming at them.

The car still over heats like a bitch! I notice that when it gets hot all I have to do is rev the engine to about 4,000 RPM and it drops right back down. Hmmmm. I'm thinking it must have a restriction in the old ass radiator that is only overcome by pressure from the water pump when the engine is at high RPM. So today I replace the radiator with a brand new one. While swapping it I notice there is no "Radiator fan temp switch", so Autozone ripped me off, not the first time, lol.

SAME F'N PROBLEM! Yeah it runs a little cooler but it still over heats. Now it will get to 2/3's and drop right back down to a tad below half before getting to 2/3s and dropping again, RPM simply helps accelerate this drop process but atleast the car doesn't get near the red now. Sounds like a simply have a retarded thermostat. What thermostat are your guys running in these things? The ones I got from Autozone and Carquest were both 193 degree and 2 stage. I want the hot one for gas mileage, I could give a crap about stupid performance, I have a real car for that.

I'm about ready to flush the system and run freakin CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust remover) through this bitch! I know it will eat my hoses but hell, if it gets this crap out of the cooling passages in the block, new hoses are worth it! Plus my fans still don't work!!!!!!

So my questions, lol. What the hell is causing my fans not to come on? I checked ALL my fuses and the relays appear to be ok but Autozone doesn't show that these cars have a fan relay??? Has anyone else used CLR to clear a screwed up old engine to solve a cooling problem? Thanks!

EDIT: Oh yeah, even with both fans wired on with a toggle it still overheats! The fans don't seem to have ANY effect hardly at all on this tiny engine but I still want them working.

Last edited by 92GTA; 02-25-2007 at 09:16 PM.