Notices

Honda Newb:Teg ?'s thread - 94 GS-R JRSC

Old 11-27-2006, 05:44 PM
MiataMania
Go Kart Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Newb:Teg ?'s thread - 94 GS-R JRSC

Alright, so a friend of mine and I are planning to boost his 94 GS-R. He's coming from a 500+ charged camaro and is looking for something to have fun in up here and the mountains and have a little kick in the straights. Car may see some auto-x and MAYBE a track day if I can talk him into it. Because of cost and drivability issues, we think we've decided on the Jackson Racing Supercharger...the big boost kit along with full bolt-ons. Kit is 12 Psi...hondata retuned ecu...440 injectors...

http://www.supercharger.com/Shop/Vie...eIndexID=38961

The car, to my knowledge will be bone stock (hasn't picked it up yet) mechanically, I know we'll be doing suspension/brake work on it first. What all is recommended from those are you who have JRSCs? Is the big boost kit the way to go for decent power goals and QUICK low end power?

-Also, the kit doesn't look intercooled...? I've never boosted a honda...but I know I'd never F/I my miata w/ out some kind of cooling, is it needed?.

But what else is recommended: what fuel pump would be needed/suggested? (I've heard Walbro, but forget which one) what header/catback/intake combo, any advice at all?

Also, I think the est. # should be around 250 hp...what clutch would be recommended...and is a LSD necessary? sorry, not sure if the GS-R came factory with one?

We are building a street car w/ maybe some auto-x's...track day time...but mostly very hard mtn driving and some 1/8th mile stuff every once in a while, any help would be much appreciated...just link me to threads if you think they could be usefully, I've been searching a lot ...so the clutch question, I know has been answered a lot, but it wouldn't help to get opinions on this specific case. I'll keep the thread updated w/ installs etc, just trying to get a start...Thanks guys! :irock:
Old 11-27-2006, 08:06 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

As far as I know USDM GSR's do not come w/an LSD (not sure about JDM) and a good stage 1 clutch should hold your desired 250whp. With that being said, I have yet to see anyone on this site praise the JRSC. Apparently not a lot of good comes from their systems and supposedly customer service/support really sucks.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

LHT is the only company i've heard of that makes an intercooler for the jrsc for the b series. intercooling with any FI setup is always a good idea. the intake temps can get pretty hot.

you'll want to go with a walbro 255lb fuel pump, intake of your choice, kamikazee header with 2.5" collector and matching 2.5" exhaust.

lsd's were an option on the jdm gsr but not usdm gsr. quaife is one of the best and the price shows it. you can get an oem itr lsd for pretty cheap though.

although i and many others will tell you sc's suck on honda's. you're better off going with a small turbo and conservative boost if you want to go FI and retain some of the characteristics of a sc.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:27 AM
MiataMania
Go Kart Driver

Hmmm, so a low boost setup on say... gt2554R turbo? something that'll spool quick? or will that run out of steam up top? I know we are looking for quick spool, not much turbo lag b/c the car is for street use, hard mountain runs, and auto-x.

Basically, I'd have to dump a shit ton into a SC to get anything out of it?

I'm not really a honda guy so work with me, thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

something like a gt28rs or gt2871r will spool very quickly and still carry power to the rev limit. they max out at about 300-350 so if you're looking for big power number's they're not the turbo's for you. but for what you're looking to do, they fit the bill nicely.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:17 PM
MiataMania
Go Kart Driver

Hmmm, at the most ~350, so I guess that would be a good choice. I'll have to see what is available...I'm DIY a turbo kit for my miata based of a T25 just b/c its cheap and will be fun, would you recommend DIY or look into just getting a kit w/ either of those turbos? Between the group of us we can weld IC pipes, figure shit out, and have access to a good tuner so...I think I should go read more
Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

piece it together yourself. that way you get the parts you want and might come out cheaper than a kit.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:13 PM
MiataMania
Go Kart Driver

thats what I'm doing with my car...we'll see if he's got the patience...heh

is their a dominant manifold/dp combo for the B18C?

like in the miata world Begi...Bell Engineering is about the best you can get.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

full race and peakboost are about the best when it comes to manifolds for honda's.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:35 AM
MiataMania
Go Kart Driver

thanks, I've heard good things about full race...never heard of peakboost, I'll check into that...thanks man