Notices

Brake Rotor Problems

Old 10-02-2002, 09:18 AM
AJ97GSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Rotor Problems

Does anyone know what causes rotors to warp? I am on my third set of rotors this year, and the current set is warping again. I replaced the original rotors on my 1997 GSR (current mileage 46,xxx) in January with some crappy rotors from the local parts store, I also replaced the pads at this time, the shaking in the steering wheel went away and I thought everything would be good to go. About 5 months later, the new rotors were warped, and I figured it was due to low quality, so this time I purchased some Brembo Blanks and I thought I would be fine. Unfortunately, now, only 4 months after putting on the Brembo's, they are beginning to feel warped (shaking in steering wheel, vibration in brake pedal).

Is there anything I can do other than replace (or resurface) these rotors that I bought just 4 months (less than 5k miles) ago? Should I look into getting better pads (currently using some Raybestos pads)? I am sick of spending money and time fixing this problem that just keeps coming back, anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Old 10-02-2002, 09:20 AM
jgrotkier
AIM SN: Johann14420

Do you tighten your lug nuts with a torque wrench?
Old 10-02-2002, 09:22 AM
AJ97GSR

Yep, 80 lbs all around.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:49 AM
b00gers

i heard excessive cooling in a short period of time can do that.

such as spraying water onto the rotors after a long drive. that will cool the metal too fast causing it to warp.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:51 AM
qtiger

Do you change pads when you change rotors?
Old 10-02-2002, 09:57 AM
AJ97GSR

I have heard of the "excessive" cooling thing too, and I tried like hell to avoid any water touching the brakes, so I don't think it is that in this case. I changed the pads when I originally replaced the rotors in january...not when I replaced the rotors the second time.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:16 AM
chicagovelocity
raw dawgin'

hmm...

are you feeling this when slowing down from a higher speed, such as 40+?
Old 10-02-2002, 11:21 AM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

Raybestos pads and integras just dont mix. i dont know the exact reason why. i worked at a reputable tire/brake chain for a few years, and we usually used beck arnley (sp?) / axxis.

i got about 85,xxx miles on my oem rotors. my generic aftermarket ones keep getting glazed though, and they warp fast.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Default Re: Brake Rotor Problems

What kind of brake pads are u using?

I would highly advise AGAINST resurfacing your rotors. It makes the rotor thinner = weaker = more prone to warp. I resurfaced my OEM rotors at 35,000 miles and upgrade to axxis pads(they were warped as hell) and they were warped by the time I hit 40,000 miles (maybe it had to do with the fact that many of those miles were spent on the track/auto-x). One thing I realized I was doing wrong was that I used the brakes excessively right before I parked the car (such as gunning the engine on the road to your garage then braking like hell before entering your driveway). The rotors would be quite hot when I parked the car, and pulling the handbrake on scalding hot rotors probably lead them to being warped real fast.

But yeah, braking hard and then not allowing them to be cooled down slowly will lead to warped rotors real fast. That's why at track events there are cooldown laps, where you drive the track using the brakes as little as possible, to let the outside air reach them and cool them down gradually.

Shingo
Old 10-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Taiwanze7

is your alignment to spec? how aggressive are your pads?