Notices

1992 Gsr

Old 10-26-2006, 03:20 PM
fastback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sherwood
no, i can have a 4cyl that runs at 2k on the highway, power output and rpm range have more to do with cam profiles than anything else.
Sorry, you are off there. Power is a key factor, but a large displacement motor does not need to spin as many RPMs to do the same work that a small displacement one does. The motor spins the same regardless of the cams, only where in the RPM band the power is and to a small extent how much peak HP will be made, is determined by the cams. Cams are along for the ride, they do not affect the engine RPM. This is fact, not theory.

the reason a 4 cyl USUALLY has shorter gearing is becuase of them making the bulk of their power up in the high range, but that has to dow ith alot of things, including rotating mass, air restriction, you name it
This is right and reinforces my point - you NEED more RPMs to achieve the power because there is less torque to do the work.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not going to fight with you, but it's all the gearing's reason for him crusing at 4k+ not the small engine.

there are alot of 4 cylinders that WONT cruise at that high rpm, it's just the AGRESSIVE GEARING that results in the crazy overdrive gear.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:31 PM
superdeadman

the car doesn't grind any gears at all
and yup - it was pampered since at least 130k miles (i got it off of friend of mine)
it has been filled up with 93 octane since it got into my friend's hands and has been seeing premium gas ever since.
the car is 95% stock. only mods to it are: air intake, cd player and alarm (don't know if the last 2 fall under mod category)

Now i'm not saying it's not problem free. It got a knocking noise after you go 30 mph. First it has very low frequency (at 30mph) and by the time you reach 50, that frequency is increased greatly.
Also, when it rains heavily, there's water leaking into passenger seat area (under glove compartment, where your feet go) I found that the leaking is coming from some white container's rubber seal, but don't know what it is.

thanks for replies!

ohh and as far as 4vs8 cyl rpms on highways, my buddy's z28 6spd was doing 80 at under 2k rpms
Old 10-26-2006, 09:07 PM
2001TEGGSR

I hope the leak isn't your heater core...

As for the noise above 30 - is it comming from the engine bay or possibly a wheel?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:21 AM
superdeadman

Originally Posted by 2001TEGGSR
I hope the leak isn't your heater core...

As for the noise above 30 - is it comming from the engine bay or possibly a wheel?

would it leak only during the rain? and i mean heavy rain. It's like this white container that can be seen if you stick your head where pass. feet go.

as far as noise - it sounds like it's coming from dashboard and the speedo. It's not strictly clicking noise (not like click click click), it's more of a vibrating/clicking noise (so still click click click, except every click sounds like 6 clicks/second, and then a pause, and 6 more clicks, etc...) - that pause gets shorter as you drive faster.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:39 AM
perrotto
B18C1

The previous owner of my car took the a/c out. The lines left over from the a/c were rattling against my air intake. You might have something loose, perhaps.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:40 AM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by superdeadman
would it leak only during the rain? and i mean heavy rain. It's like this white container that can be seen if you stick your head where pass. feet go.

as far as noise - it sounds like it's coming from dashboard and the speedo. It's not strictly clicking noise (not like click click click), it's more of a vibrating/clicking noise (so still click click click, except every click sounds like 6 clicks/second, and then a pause, and 6 more clicks, etc...) - that pause gets shorter as you drive faster.
The leak is probably a seal somewhere then.

Not too firmiliar with the g2, mabye somebody else could pinpoint the problem.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:10 AM
superdeadman

Originally Posted by perrotto
The previous owner of my car took the a/c out. The lines left over from the a/c were rattling against my air intake. You might have something loose, perhaps.
It's possible, the a/c is there (though it needs to be refilled due to leak every year), but it's possible that something's loose. But why would the sound come from dashboard? that's honestly what it soudns like - not from engine bay - from dashboard
Old 10-27-2006, 07:26 AM
perrotto
B18C1

Check around your firewall or maybe around your suspension. It's tough to help without hearing the noise so I would suggest taking someone with to listen as well. Good luck, littte noises like that piss me off.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:44 AM
1.7na

[quote=superdeadman;3199389]the car doesn't grind any gears at all
Also, when it rains heavily, there's water leaking into passenger seat area (under glove compartment, where your feet go) I found that the leaking is coming from some white container's rubber seal, but don't know what it is.

This is common on the 2nd generation integras. I think this is your problem. The are some rubber seals around the push screws for the front wiper cover area (cowl) that wears out over time. Water leaks through there. There's about 8 of them that needs to be replace. You can pick up the part for about 2-3 bucks each. I got the parts but haven't had time to swap them out yet. Check out the site if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.g2ic.com/

Here's the fix for the wet passenger floor:
http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/interior/15.html