Notices

concern over coolant leak

Old 10-18-2006, 02:41 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default concern over coolant leak

Lately, my radiator has been leaking some coolant, mainly around the plastic end tanks. I've been trying to keep up on topping it off and plan on replacing the radiator soon enough. But another leak has caught my attention. It appears to be on the head, right around where the header connects. I've snapped a couple pics of the leak. What could this leak be from and what should I do to take care of it? Thanks.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
2001TEGGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that coolant just splash from your end tanks? or is your hose leaking?

Is your car consuming oil in excess? It appears that you have a somewhat leaky headgasket. A few things to check:

Compression Test
Is there black specs in your rad?
Is there water specs in your oil?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Buyimports2

Originally Posted by 2001TEGGSR
Is there black specs in your rad?
How much black specks is too much?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:21 PM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

I would check the housing where that bleeder fitting is. I was getting coolant in the same spot. I resealed the housing and my problem went away.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:31 PM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by Buyimports2
How much black specks is too much?
I missinformed you... Black specks could just be dirt. Your looking for "beads" of oil in your radiator. If you find any at all, this is a sign of a faulty head gasket. If your oil is making its way into your cooling system, then it's possible for coolant to be crossing into your oil. Water is a horrible lubricant, and will cause premature bearing failure, etc. I would get it fixed as soon as possible. Is your car consuming oil?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:46 PM
MTEng

What you're seeing is the spot where the coolant is POOLING, not necessarily where it's leaking from.

Clean that oily mess with some Brakleen and dry the entire area completely. Drive the thing a couple days and look again. Should be easier to pinpoint. Feel free to post some more pics.

Also, snap a pic from higher and more to the left....

As I recall there are a couple temp sensors in the side of the head above that location. They tend to leak.

The oil leak is probably from either the distributor O-ring or the valve cover gasket. Make sure you use Hondabond in all the 90 degree "corners" of the valve cover gasket.

Last edited by MTEng; 10-18-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:49 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

My car isn't consuming any more oil than normal really. I usually have to add about a quart in between oil changes (3500 miles or so). I haven't seen any signs of oil mixing with coolant. What is the circular disc in the picture? Could I possibly be leaking coolant from there?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:51 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Originally Posted by MTEng
What you're seeing is the spot where the coolant is POOLING, not necessarily where it's leaking from.

Clean that oily mess with some Brakleen and dry the entire area completely. Drive the thing a couple days and look again. Should be easier to pinpoint. Feel free to post some more pics.

Also, snap a pic from higher and more to the left....

As I recall there are a couple temp sensors in the side of the head above that location. They tend to leak.

The oil leak is probably from either the distributor O-ring or the valve cover gasket. Make sure you use Hondabond in all the 90 degree "corners" of the valve cover gasket.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to clean it up and see if I can narrow things down a bit. I've been throwing a CEL for the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor for a little while now. Could this be having an effect?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:56 PM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by red94teg
Thanks for the info. I'll have to clean it up and see if I can narrow things down a bit. I've been throwing a CEL for the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor for a little while now. Could this be having an effect?
That's probably it, or at least contributing.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:56 PM
MTEng

I've been throwing a CEL for the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor for a little while now. Could this be having an effect?
I believe that is one of the sensors on the side of the head. May have cracked. Should be easy to tell. If not, keep looking

What is the circular disc in the picture?
I believe it's a plug to fill one of the access holes used for machining the head.

Last edited by MTEng; 10-18-2006 at 05:00 PM.