Notices

whistle sound

Old 09-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Aarti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whistle sound

I've searched for this topic at several sites including here and still can't find an answer...I've had this problem for about few months now...It is MAD annoying! Every time I accelerate my car makes this whining noise when shifting from 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5. Sometimes it just does it when I accelerate on 4th or 5th without shifting. I searched and alot of you guys have had different whining noises so I wanted to be exact with mine...Anyone out there ever had this prob?? What do you guys suggest??
its 96 SE with 210K
Old 09-20-2006, 11:18 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

If it only occurs while the clutch pedal is depressed, I would suspect that the throwout bearing is the source of the noise.

If the noise increases with vehicle speed, whether the clutch is in or out, it could be something as simple as low trans fluid level or as involved as a worn-out CV joint or wheel bearing.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Aarti

thanks for the reply but the sound seems to be coming from front and not consistant. The sound is kind of on dry side.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:44 AM
fastback

Do you have an aftermarket intake? I've heard that some of them do that.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Aarti
thanks for the reply but the sound seems to be coming from front and not consistant. The sound is kind of on dry side.
I see... tell me more. h:

Is the noise worse when you're turning and accelerating?
If so, that would make me suspicious of the CV joints.

Does the sound get louder with engine RPM or vehicle speed?
If the volume is dependent on vehicle speed, I would check trans fluid level and / or wheel bearings.

---

In an escalating order of difficulty, here's what I would inspect:

* CV Joint Boots, both inner and outer.
Check for rips & tears in the rubber boots and the integrity of the metal clamp bands at either end of each boot.

* Transmission fluid level: The fill plug on a manual trans is on the end of the trans case nearest the passenger side front wheel. Parked on level ground, the fluid should be at the level of the fill hole. If you need to add fluid, use Honda Manual Trans Fluid ONLY.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Aarti

No, its pure stock. could it be one of the belt or the pully on which the bell spins? its not easy to listen most of the times. i will try putting up audio clip may be that could help.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:18 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Aarti
No, its pure stock. could it be one of the belt or the pully on which the bell spins? its not easy to listen most of the times. i will try putting up audio clip may be that could help.
:doh: Doh...of course... I feel like an idiot.
It could certainly be a loose belt tensioner. h:

Old 09-20-2006, 02:06 PM
tdeters12

is it a whine noise or kind of like a jingle my A/C tensioner got loose and made noise inconsistently then just fell off may want to check that. When your driving down the road turn the wheel side to side but remain in your lane and see if your noise gets better or worse that will clue you in on if its a wheel bearing also driving next to a concrette median barrier will help. give me more info id be glade to help
Old 09-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Aarti

Thanks for the reply. Its not the wheel bearing. It has to be one of the belt. The noise is there all the time but cannot hear at times because of all the other noises. I will try tightning/loosing the belt and give you an update.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:02 AM
MTEng

If it's an accessory belt and it's already squealing, simply tightening it is not the answer. Once belts start slipping the rubber gets "glazed" from the heat build-up. It loses traction and becomes more prone to slipping and the problem gets worse and worse. Honda came out with those "self-tightening" belts... what a joke

If you over-tighten the belt to compensate you can damage the engine.... seriously in some cases. You can wear alternator bearings out prematurely, for example. I recall a case years ago where a PS belt was over-tightened on a 92 Civic and it snapped off the end of the crank after a few months. Matter of fact, Honda went to a wingnut tensioner bolt instead of the hex head so wrenches and air tools could not be used.

Anywho, if you're sure it's a belt, go buy a set of accessory belts and replace them all. Make sure you properly tension them according to the factory service manual for your car and you'll be all set.